Spraying - what gear is everyone using?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Spraying - what gear is everyone using?

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:58 pm

Im making tentative plans to move to spraying the back and sides on my builds. I'm interested in what everyone is using in the way of compressors and spray guns. TIA for advice.
Martin

rocket
Blackwood

Re: Spraying - what gear is everyone using?

Post by rocket » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:06 pm

Hi Martin, i'm using your standard 8cfm compressor with moisture filter plus an extra inline moisture filter connected to one of either a siphon or gravity fed touchup gun, this has worked very well for me in the past spraying Mirrotone 3220 or an automotive acrylic.
i hope that was of some help!!
Cheers..
Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:25 pm

rocket wrote:Hi Martin, i'm using your standard 8cfm compressor with moisture filter plus an extra inline moisture filter connected to one of either a siphon or gravity fed touchup gun, this has worked very well for me in the past spraying Mirrotone 3220 or an automotive acrylic.
i hope that was of some help!!
Cheers..
Rod.
Thanks Rod. What brand/model of gravity fed gun and what nozzles?
Martin

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:35 pm

I am using a Fuji Mini Mite 3 which was recommended by the American magazine Fine Woodworking a while back, with their T70 spray gun. It is a HVLP turbine. This seems to work fine. It is however very noisy! They do a silenced version called I think Q3 Gold but this is about 50 % more money in the UK. Depending on your situation viz a viz neighbours you might need to think about the sound level. Also a small point is that I have to wear ear defenders as well as the full on face mask so it all gets a bit heavy.

I am a novice so can't comment on this system versus others.

I have to say that it is a skill that I am really struggling with. Orange peel is the order of the day, and I do a lot of sanding! I am sure I end up with too thick a film of finish (nitro). In the end I do get good looking result but it really feels a bit hit and miss.
So if you do go that way a bit of personal tuition would be a good idea.

Cheers Dave
------------------
Dave

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:36 pm

Thanks Dave and Rod....
Martin

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:38 pm

Both my compressors are McMillan, but the one I spray with is 16.5cfm three head and I leave it set at 120psi.

I run the gun at around 35psi for base coats and around 40 for primers etc, I always have a adjustable gauge at the gun, do not use the compressor end gauge as you'll loose a lot of pressure through the hose and you need to know the "at the gun" pressure.

On the compressed I have two filters and I also drop the water from the valve every time I spray.

My good guns and airbrush are iwata, but I often spray base and clear with a star gravity feed gun (their pro model)

I spray sealers and primers through a elcheapo $100 workquip Gravity feed gun with a 1.8 tip, then I'll spray base and clears with a 1.4 tip. All my guns are gravity fed cups. Tip size will depend on product used.

I have four heat lamps, however whether they are used or not depends on product. Some don't like them. Some do. Some don't like them as long as others, it's all trial and error and getting to know each product.
Last edited by demonx on Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:42 pm

Thanks Allan....
Martin

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:45 pm

One thing I should add, buy a good quality canister mask or better. Keep it in an air tight container.

Regularly change the canister. They're not cheap, but neither are lungs.

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:48 pm

Another little trick i've heard of is, if you have a long air hose , only unwind as much as you need and keep the remainder on the reel and this may help in trapping any posture in the line!!

Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:50 pm

Note that at present I plan to use Mirotone Precat....a majority of people here seem to have success with the product and theres a supplier here in Adelaide.
Martin

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:34 pm

I have been using, due to budgetary restraints, an el cheapo Supercheap Auto gravity feed gun with nitrocellulose lacquer...at first I thought I'd have to bite the bullet and buy an expensive pro gun, but I'm getting a reasonable result now that I have not thinned the lacquer as much and heat the lacquer in warm water before I put it in the gun. That gives it time before it dries to flow and the orange peeling is not a great issue. Heating the nitro first and getting the consistency right for this to happen is the trick. Also, three coats of nitro done this way is enough... I use the correct canisters in my respirator and spray outside when there is a gentle breeze and no dust in the air to speak of. When the weather is cold, I keep the guitar in the humidity controlled area then warm it with heat lamps before spraying. A pray booth is next on the list, I'll probably use some greenhouse plastic with a frame, some heat lamps and put my money into an explosion proof fan arrangement. I will try some Mirrortone down the track I guess, but have gone for the traditional finish. I like Nitro because, if handled safely, it can be padded on just like French polish and can also be easily touched up (spot repairs). Also a lot of the instruments I repair are old school and have Nitro on them,Nitro can also be renovated somewhat with a flash coat applied. I also like the look of old nitro patina as it has broken down over the years..But I'm no expert, so ask all the other guys on the forum..that's just what I have found works for me.
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:38 pm

I've been using a Sata minijet for about 10 years. Great little gun.

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:13 pm

blackalex1952 wrote:.... I keep the guitar in the humidity controlled area then warm it with heat lamps before spraying. A pray booth is next on the list,
Im not religious so a pray booth is not on the agenda... :mrgreen:
Martin

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:29 pm

Well, it was a typo, but I guess that after the amount of work to get a guitar to finish stage, a poor finish, particularly on the soundboard, is risky! So a prayer would be in order!!! In fact, a second hand confessional, with the right treatment, would make a good finish booth! Father, I have sinned...I used a cheap spray gun....
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

Mr K
Sassafras

Post by Mr K » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:51 pm

Iwata LPH-80-124G with a 250 ml pot . Seems to be the perfect size for guitar work and being LPHV the is not much mist coming of. I use it for both 2pac and Nitro

A link if needed
http://www.anest-iwata.com.au/products/ ... lastic-pot

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:51 pm

blackalex1952 wrote:Well, it was a typo, but I guess that after the amount of work to get a guitar to finish stage, a poor finish, particularly on the soundboard, is risky! So a prayer would be in order!!! In fact, a second hand confessional, with the right treatment, would make a good finish booth! Father, I have sinned...I used a cheap spray gun....
LOL.....thanks for your input :D
Martin

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:26 am

I have only sprayed 3 guitars (using mirotone) but I have had good results with one of these http://gngsales.com.au/products/details ... -s-106-1g/ and following Allen's great advice in the tutorials section.

I find it toxic as hell. I get a strange rash if I dry sand or get any on my skin and feel sick for days if I breath any in, even just opening the can without a mask. I go full sperm suit with canister mask and Nitril gloves. I hate the stuff in that respect.
Jeremy D

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:27 am

Jeremy D wrote: ..... and feel sick for days if I breath any in, even just opening the can without a mask. I go full sperm suit with canister mask and Nitril gloves. I hate the stuff in that respect.
If you're like that with Mirotone then I suggest you stay away from any auto 2k, as the Mirotone is all puppies and rainbows in comparison.

You do bring up a good point in the Nitrile gloves though, I also wear these. I don't wear a suit, but if I remember I do prefer to wear long sleeves as the wrists tend to get a bit of overspray as I'm turning things around or holding them.

I also wear the mask while mixing and cleaning up afterwards.

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:25 am

kiwigeo wrote:Im making tentative plans to move to spraying the back and sides on my builds. I'm interested in what everyone is using in the way of compressors and spray guns. TIA for advice.
Our setup, is about as anal as you want to get it, but as I have employees I have to comply to OH&S, plus EPA, Fire Safety, you name it, everyone wants a piece.

Have 7 Spray Guns and a 40 cfm compressor, one storage tank 500litre, one storage tank 150 litre and the 150 litre tank on the compressor.

Have compressed air supplied breathing gear, fulled ducted spray booth 3.6m by 3.6m, infa red heating lamps, uv lamps, ultra violet lamps

What would you like to know... :)

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

routout
Blackwood

Post by routout » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:08 pm

Temp spray booth with plastic drop sheets works for me .:)
John ,of way too many things to do.