help me iD this wood please?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

matthew
Blackwood

help me iD this wood please?

Post by matthew » Wed May 25, 2016 11:00 am

image.jpg
image.jpg
wonderful aroma of resin, fresh tobacco, old books, roses ... complex. if it was whisky I'd be addicted to it ...

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: help me iD this wood please?

Post by kiwigeo » Wed May 25, 2016 11:25 am

No idea what it is but its going to need some serious pore filling :mrgreen:
Martin

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Wed May 25, 2016 11:44 am

French polish does it very nicely ...

routout
Blackwood

Post by routout » Wed May 25, 2016 4:51 pm

I was given a board a while ago and told it was Mahogany it's as angry like the piece you have there and the same color (forgive my pic taking) it is very heavy and I have off-cuts of different Mahogany this is not Malay or Honduras but is definitely has the characteristics of the same wood ,Just my thoughts maybe a container was shipped to Aus I don't know ,there is something else I was told by one of the old guys at the origonal Mayton factory you see the white flecks or gum lines in my piece he said they are caused by force feeding the tree for quicker yeild. hope it was some help cheers John.
Attachments
board.jpg
John ,of way too many things to do.

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Wed May 25, 2016 5:24 pm

Wavy grain and pores remind me of Kwila/Merbau.

Steve

routout
Blackwood

Post by routout » Wed May 25, 2016 5:45 pm

I hope not no I don't think so it's dry Merbau is oily I was just given some offcuts which I have no use for. :lol:
John ,of way too many things to do.

curly
Blackwood

Post by curly » Wed May 25, 2016 7:08 pm

At a quick glance I'd say Bubinga or African rosewood . Colour suits , it's often figured like the sample though perhaps the pores are at the top of what you'd expect for size the the eccentric distribution is consistent . Another possibility would be one of the pterocarpus , such as andaman paduak .
Pete

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Thu May 26, 2016 11:08 am

Pete's had the same thoughts as me! Or is that I've had the same thoughts as him...?

Anyhow, definitely resembles a Pterocarpus species (Paduak) or Bubinga. Another possibility in the same family is Narra/New Guinea Rosewood - perhaps more likely than Andaman Paduak, simply as the latter is not as common. NG Rosewood varies in colour from common gold right through the reds. Other indicators are that figure type, along with the pore structure and notably the smell you mention - it is quite fragrant.

Bubinga is less fragrant, at least the stuff I've worked - though that would vary. I've not worked Narra that did not possess a smell like you describe. Andaman and other Paduak is generally heavier, as is Bubinga. What is the weight of your sample?

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:13 pm

After a lot of reading i have decided that it is most likely Bubinga. So, well spotted guys. It is described elsewhere as either smelling awful (when wet) or sweet and compelling. Which is how i find it. And samples i've seen look very similar.

I will read up a bit on NG Rosewood.

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:22 pm

... however, in the space of five minutes I've decided instead that it must be Narra/NG rosewood, as the furniture i rescued it from was distinctly asian. Bubinga is african.

Apparently the infusion of the wood is fluorescent! I'll have to check this property ...