New Luthier Tips du Jour video - Closing the box

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Robbie O'Brien
ANZLF Approved Supplier

New Luthier Tips du Jour video - Closing the box

Post by Robbie O'Brien » Tue May 17, 2016 4:31 am

Here is the latest Luthier Tips du Jour video - In this video I talk about how to help keep the centerline of the back on center when closing the box.
This video as well as all my other videos are available via my website, http://www.obrienguitars.com/videos , LMI's website or on youtube.

youtu.be/
www.obrienguitars.com

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Re: New Luthier Tips du Jour video - Closing the box

Post by blackalex1952 » Tue May 17, 2016 1:42 pm

Nice one Robbie! I have one query re your construction here: it appears from the video that your back braces go through the sides and are not checked into the liners short of the sides with a tiny gap to allow for wood movement as some makers do, particularly those who have made repairs to old instruments which have been damaged by braces cracking the sides as the plates move. I am wondering what you think about this?
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Wed May 18, 2016 12:09 pm

Great tip Robbie, thanks, always watch your videos and always learn something. My challenge is to remember it all when I build the next one!
All the best
Richard
Richard

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed May 18, 2016 3:27 pm

blackalex1952 wrote:Nice one Robbie! I have one query re your construction here: it appears from the video that your back braces go through the sides and are not checked into the liners short of the sides with a tiny gap to allow for wood movement as some makers do, particularly those who have made repairs to old instruments which have been damaged by braces cracking the sides as the plates move. I am wondering what you think about this?
An interesting query. I do my braces like Robbie does......housing brace ends into pockets is a pain in the arse. It is my belief that the arch in the back is going to take up any cross grain movement before the brace ends push the bindings (and side?) out. I would suspect that in many of the cases where the brace ends have popped through the sides the back or top have been flat. Ive had a few guitars in my shop that have had this issue but in all cases they've been pretty badly made instruments with flat tops and back.
Martin