Radius Spreadsheet

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Radius Spreadsheet

Post by Steve.Toscano » Fri May 13, 2016 1:03 pm

As per here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7334
I've had a few requests for my radius calculating spreadsheet, so thought I'd share it.

Can be downloaded from here: http://toscanoguitars.com.au/Documents/radius.xlsx

First of all i must mention this was made for calculating spacer heights when making a dish with the thin ply and spacers strategically placed at a distance from the centre method.
But can also be used for creating radius sticks, solid dishes or for backwards calculating the radius of a top or back on a completed instrument (using guess and check method) - eg for repair purposes.
I guess it could also be used for fretboards, keep in mind though the input is in feet.

If creating a dish or radius stick you can use sheet 1 to calculate and plot out the points then use a router or cut on a bandsaw (for a stick), both methods still require some sanding obviously.
I know this isnt perfect compared to a massive compass, but it's a hell of a lot easier as far as i'm concerned.

I recently used this when dishing out a new solera. Set drill depth height as per row 20, drilled serious or holes to that depth at the distance of row 24, then carved/scraped away until reached the bottom of the hole.

Sheet 1 is the same formula for back and top, just makes it easier to have it all in one place.
Sheet 2 is just a simpler layout.

I can't take full credit here, the maths within was done by a mate, I just turned it into a spreadsheet.

Any questions feel free to ask.