Has anyone used Shellac Hardener?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Theo
Gidgee

Has anyone used Shellac Hardener?

Post by Theo » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:16 pm

Hello all,

I am new hear so apologize if this has been covered already. So, I bought 'The Books' sometime ago and am mainly still struggling through the maths in the first volume. However, the 'U-Beaut hard shellac' caught my attention. I am, as yet unsatisfied with the durability of my french polish finishes.
Has anybody used this stuff? https://www.thewoodworks.com.au/shop/co ... c-hardener I am in the UK and cannot find anywhere in Europe that sells the hard shellac suggested in 'The Books'. But this product can be shipped and I am told will produce the same result..
Anyone have any experience with this product? I like the idea of still being able to mix my shellac from flakes but with the advantage of increased durability..
Many thanks

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Re: Has anyone used Shellac Hardener?

Post by Trevor Gore » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:47 pm

The "blurb" about the product on the Woodworks site is the same as on my bottle of hardener from Shines (the "original" hard shellac). However, to make sure it's the same product, email Michael at The Woodworks and ask him if it's the Shines stuff re-packaged.

Theo
Gidgee

Post by Theo » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:58 pm

Yes, Thank you Trevor, I'll do that. I was told about this stuff by a supplier in Germany who used to stock U-Beaut (which is basically Shines I understand) I remember reading that for a time the plasticisers where removed from the product which resulted in crazing. I wonder if this hardener is the 'new' recipe or the old one without the plasticisers.

Theo

Theo
Gidgee

Post by Theo » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:01 pm

Yes, Thank you Trevor, I'll do that. I was told about this stuff by a supplier in Germany who used to stock U-Beaut (which is basically Shines I understand) I remember reading that for a time the plasticisers where removed from the product which resulted in crazing. I wonder if this hardener is the 'new' recipe or the old one without the plasticisers.

Theo

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:00 pm

Ubeaut licensed the product from Shines, and it was Ubeaut who wanted the plasticiser taken out. They were targeting furniture makers rather than instrument makers. The stuff sold under the Shines name always had the plasticisers kept in and I would be very surprised if this didn't.