Bench Vice

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Lillian
Blackwood

Bench Vice

Post by Lillian » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:51 pm

I have never owned a bench vice before, nor have I had a bench that was more than an overbuilt table. It was all just slapped together and not worthy of any accessories.

While researching benches and various holding elements, I came across an older plan that had what I thought was a really cool feature. The top had a 1" (+/-) x 6" rectangle cut in it at the end in front of the leg. Mounted on the leg was a 1" (+/-) x 6" x 10" board that had a slot that was wide enough for a bolt. The slot was about 5" long. It slide up through the top to be used as a stop. You expose enough to hold the wood, but not so much as to interfere with a plane. I'm still thinking about this one.

I am going to put rows of 3/4" holes for bench dogs and bench hooks. I order a large and a small one from Japanese Woodworker. I also have a small bench vise that gets mounted on the edge of the bench.

I also order, and received, a Parrot vise from JW. I think I'll be very happy with it. My problem, hence this post, is that I don't know where to put it. So my question to you all is where is your vices on your bench and why?

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:01 pm

Heres my parrot vise in use....working on a top for a classical.

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:46 pm

Hi Lillian
Heres some shots of three of my vices [not the wondervice mentioned earlier]. One is mounted on a grinder stand that is hight adjustable, and I can work all around it or turn the job around to suit the light. I mount many more jigs and tables on it than shown here. Three benches surround the vice for tools, glue or whatever. In another room I have the carpenters vice shown, this also takes and engineers vice that is mounted on timber and clamps into the bench vice, this is removed and stored when not requiered. Hope this gives some ideas.Image
Taff

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:07 pm

Martin, is it in a permanent location or do you bolt it to the bench as you need it?

Taffy, the grinder stand is bolted to the floor isn't it? I'll have to ponder whether or not that's a good thing to do in the house. We are going to have to replace the carpeting anyway.... Other than that issue, I REALLY like the idea.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:47 pm

I have a woodworkers vise that is mounted at the left hand end of the long side of my bench. For no other reason than this seemed like a good place at the time since it's closes to the garage door and when it's open there is more light at that end.

I've also got the guitar holder vise consisting of 2 pipe clamps and some foam covered ply that is mounted on the end of my bend that is closest to the garage door for the aforementioned reason.

Taffy's idea is a great one. My father had a very heavy duty vise that could almost double as an anvil mounted on a steel pipe about 6" in diameter that he filled with re-bar and cement. Make it rock solid, and very easy to work around.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:26 pm

Lillian wrote:Martin, is it in a permanent location or do you bolt it to the bench as you need it?
Lillian,

The vice is bolted to the bench but can be easily removed if I need the bench space. So far I havent found a need to do so...the vice has always sat where you see it in the photo.

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:26 pm

I use one of these from stew-mac. I am so glad I got it even with the extra expense of frieght. It is in constant use.

It is brilliant. Fast one handed action. It mounts with a single bolt and large wing nut underneath about which it spins. I have holes in different benches and it is easy to move and drop into another spot. It tends to get used for messy things like neck carving so a setup like Taffy's would be better so i didn't get so much dust on my benches and into all my tools and parts.

Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

gratay
Blackwood

Post by gratay » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:11 pm

The only vice I have is may drink to much beer.. :roll:

I've managed to build my acoustic guitar without the aid of a vice so far...although there has certainly been times where I could have used one. nothing a bit of creative clamping can't fix..
Having said that , I will get one of those stewmac type ones at some point. As a matter of fact I sure could use one of those swivelly ones right now with this neck carving business

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:37 am

I went with the Parrot vise on Frank's advice.
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPAGES/Luthier ... tvise.html

Dave Anderson
Blackwood

Post by Dave Anderson » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:49 pm

Lillian, I have the Stew-mac vice too. I like it a lot for holding the guitars neck with the urethane lined swivel jaws.
I do like Dominic and drill holes in different spots on my benches for moving the vise where I need it.It's very easy
to move around with the one large wing-nut. I am thinking about getting a parrot vise also. It looks very versatile too!
Let us know how you like your new vise.
Dave Anderson
Port Richey,Florida

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:23 am

Hey you lot are just faffing around the edges ...

THIS foot-operated http://www.monsterballvise.com/ is what you need!

That's a bowling ball in there.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:37 am

That's an awesome vise Matthew. Is this one yours?
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:26 am

No, but i'd like one.

The guy who designed it built his prototype from a bowling ball and a car jack. I thought about making one but I don't have the time ... or the space, really.

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:59 pm

That's impressive Matthew.

I'd have to dig around, but I think that in one of Fine Woodworking compilation books there is a carving vise based on the same concept. I've also seen it done with a ball hitch.

If you want I can see if I can find it and if I can, I'll send it down under with the veneer press screws.

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:52 pm

thanks but as for me, I really think I WON'T have time to build one. So don't spend building-time digging around on my account. Actually that pic I posted show pretty good detail of how he did it.

MT