Stewmac book and plan sale

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Stewmac book and plan sale

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:13 am

Some useful books on sale at Stewmac. Plans have also dropped in price
booksale.jpg
booksale.jpg (52.86 KiB) Viewed 9280 times
Martin

Jeremy D
Admin

Re: Stewmac book and plan sale

Post by Jeremy D » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:30 am

The hardest part about ordering from Stewmac is hitting submit on the checkout and realising you forgot something :D.

Are the trade secrets books worth it? I am definitely grabbing the finishing book.
Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:41 am

Jeremy D wrote:The hardest part about ordering from Stewmac is hitting submit on the checkout and realising you forgot something :D.

Are the trade secrets books worth it? I am definitely grabbing the finishing book.
The finishing book is good and so is the fretting book. I have the inlay book but haven't really read it in great detail.
Martin

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:18 am

Jeremy D wrote:Are the trade secrets books worth it?
I've got them (2 volumes) and they're full of lots of useful tips and tricks, in these days of google, youtube & forums, most are probably available with a bit of a search but it's handy having them all together at your workbench in two books.
It's been some years since I last used them but if I remember rightly they are a little disjointed as they're a collection of tips from the original newsletters Stewmac used to put out (who remembers those days?!) so are just published in these books in their chronological order so if you are after any tricks on fretting for arguments sake, you have to look through the whole book rather than in one specific topic area as they're spread throughout. Would I buy them now? Probably not, I don't do a lot of repairs anymore and if I do, chances are I've done that repair several times before and am set in me ways on how I do it (and I've probably learnt how to do the repair by using those books in the first place!), not saying I know everything there is to know....far from it and I'm always open to a new way of doing a job, but if you are just starting out or haven't done a lot of repair work or even if you like reference books on your shelf then at 50% off, they're worth the price of entry.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:54 am

Nick wrote:
Jeremy D wrote:Are the trade secrets books worth it?
I've got them (2 volumes) and they're full of lots of useful tips and tricks, in these days of google, youtube & forums, most are probably available with a bit of a search but it's handy having them all together at your workbench in two books.
It's been some years since I last used them but if I remember rightly they are a little disjointed as they're a collection of tips from the original newsletters Stewmac used to put out (who remembers those days?!) so are just published in these books in their chronological order so if you are after any tricks on fretting for arguments sake, you have to look through the whole book rather than in one specific topic area as they're spread throughout. Would I buy them now? Probably not, I don't do a lot of repairs anymore and if I do, chances are I've done that repair several times before and am set in me ways on how I do it (and I've probably learnt how to do the repair by using those books in the first place!), not saying I know everything there is to know....far from it and I'm always open to a new way of doing a job, but if you are just starting out or haven't done a lot of repair work or even if you like reference books on your shelf then at 50% off, they're worth the price of entry.
Thanks Nick,

I think I will grab them. If only for an interesting read.
Jeremy D

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:41 am

I've got the finishing book.

Some really good information in there about tint mixes to replicate vintage bursts etc.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:52 am

I ordered all 4 :). I can't resist adding things to my cart when I am shopping on stewmac.
Jeremy D

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:14 am

I had to buy them since I can't resist guitar books. As people have said the finishing and the fretting volumes look really useful. And I quite like the style of the tips books, again I suspect there are some gems in there.

And Jeremy no, the hardest part of shopping with them is to stop putting things in the basket!

Dave
------------------
Dave