figured blackwood advice

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

rocket
Blackwood

figured blackwood advice

Post by rocket » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:14 pm

Hi all, a bit of sound advice will be appreciated here,, i have a nice bit of figured blackwood that I've bent up for some sides on a florentine build and i have a couple of problems i need some advice on. Firstly i was going for the perfect mitre joint on the point of the cutaway and it didn't quite work so besides putting some binding in there is there any other fix that will get me out of the shit? Secondly i managed to crack the side on a bend, i've got some ca in there to repair it but i'm afraid the fix will stand out too much under finish, just wondering if i sanded it down bit would the fracture look less apparent?
Any advice greatfully received.

Rod.
20160307_171440.jpg
Nice blackwood side
20160307_171440.jpg (78.15 KiB) Viewed 4560 times
20160307_171355.jpg
Poor mitre joint
20160307_171355.jpg (75.56 KiB) Viewed 4560 times
20160307_171257.jpg
Obvious fracture
20160307_171257.jpg (71.29 KiB) Viewed 4560 times
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

curly
Blackwood

Re: figured blackwood advice

Post by curly » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:21 pm

G'day Rod
Nice blackwood !
I'd reckon the raised fiddleback would be a good chance at being hidden . In figured timbers , particularly dark ones the flaw disappears into the General busyness .
Best way to close it I reckon is to really focus the pressure with a hard , bright edged caul clamped hard over the very edge of the lifted fibres and then as you say , flooding it with ca . Only thing is that the ca will wick into the open pores of the surrounding area giving it a darker blush under finish . Maybe a thicker grade ca would be better , so log as the raised fibres are saturated .
As to the mitre , I'd say great chance for a bit if fancy detailing ! A block that matches your bindings ?
All the best .
Pete
Curly timbers

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:22 pm

You can cap the tip, which is what you'll see on a lot of guitars. Heres one I did in blackwood with a blackwood cap on the tip:

About the split, if it was with the grain, easy to hide, the way it's torn down, much more difficult. If you look at my cutaway in this pic, it actually split, then I repaired it and the damn repair split. I repaired it with superglue and clamps and did the old glue and sand trick to hide the break. It's barely visible as the grain hides the repair.
IMG_1188.JPG

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:39 pm

Thanks for the helpful advice there, i think i'll probably go with the cap to match the binding on the cutaway, and that crack will be a case of " suck it and see" i think!!
Cheers

Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com