Some news + designing a dream workshop?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

demonx
Blackwood

Re: Some news + designing a dream workshop?

Post by demonx » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:25 pm

New benches have arrived!

Some assembly required.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (155.99 KiB) Viewed 12826 times

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:57 am

Longest of the workbenches is now framed off, having a coffee before I start another.

This one measures in at 4.8m long, 970mm high and 650mm deep. Made to fit between my heater and a doorway, with the height just right for me to work without bending over.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (147.12 KiB) Viewed 12786 times

GregL
Blackwood

Post by GregL » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:08 pm

Hi Allan,

Looks really good!
What are you going to use for benchtops?

Thanks,
GregL.

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:50 pm

GregL wrote:Hi Allan,

Looks really good!

Thanks,
GregL.
Just MDF. It's cheap, easy to rip into size and if it ever gets wrecked it can be pulled off and it's cheap to replace.

In saying that though, I've got a "bash the crap out of it" bench that is used mostly for working on cars and metal work, jobs like smashing out bushes on car A frames, and the MDF on that bench as dirty as it is has never needed to be changed and it's lasted for about a decade, so it's good value.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:01 pm

demonx wrote:
GregL wrote:Hi Allan,

Looks really good!

Thanks,
GregL.
Just MDF. It's cheap, easy to rip into size and if it ever gets wrecked it can be pulled off and it's cheap to replace.

In saying that though, I've got a "bash the crap out of it" bench that is used mostly for working on cars and metal work, jobs like smashing out bushes on car A frames, and the MDF on that bench as dirty as it is has never needed to be changed and it's lasted for about a decade, so it's good value.
Ive got MDF on my benchtops...when it gets worn I turn the tops over and get a second run out of the stuff. Some of the benches are dressed with a sacrificial masonite topping which gets ripped off if it gets tired.
Martin

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:43 pm

This is the second one I made today 3.3m long and will go behind the CNC to hold tooling and jigs etc,

I threw a thick coat of black on the two of them this arvo to take the pine look away. Unpainted parts won't be seen once shelving is in place.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (90.27 KiB) Viewed 12759 times

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:48 pm

The big one is now shelved and bevelled, as is the CNC bench. Only four more to make now...
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (98.08 KiB) Viewed 12717 times

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:57 pm

I haven't posted many pics of inside the new workshop, so here is one - this is the east wall and the long bench under the window is used as a lay out table and glue station.

Piece of figured Blackwood that I'll be making Hamish's scratchplate out of.

Michael has chosen his body blank, pretty sure the smile says it all!

Neck blanks are underway:

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:31 pm

All looking good there Allan. Nothing better than working with some space around you...my workshop is getting tight. Yesterday I bent down to pick a dropped screw up off the floor and ended up with a Queensland Maple neck black sticking into my butt....nothing worse :(
Martin

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:24 pm

kiwigeo wrote:All looking good there Allan. Nothing better than working with some space around you...my workshop is getting tight. Yesterday I bent down to pick a dropped screw up off the floor and ended up with a Queensland Maple neck black sticking into my butt....nothing worse :(
Yeah, I was always getting braised or bruises around hip/waists height in the old one as there was no room to move. It's a much more pleasant working environment here.

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:14 pm

I like the way you cnc the neck scarf joint

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:20 pm

simso wrote:I like the way you cnc the neck scarf joint

Steve
When I first converted to CNC it took my a LONG time to work out how I wanted to do the headstocks, this is what I came up with.

If I had a 5th axis I can assure you I'd be doing it differently!

I say 5th, as my 4th axis is a slave to the 3rd as there are two X axis

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:27 am

kiwigeo wrote:All looking good there Allan. Nothing better than working with some space around you...my workshop is getting tight. Yesterday I bent down to pick a dropped screw up off the floor and ended up with a Queensland Maple neck black sticking into my butt....nothing worse :(
Sorry have to disagree. I would have said a piece of Wenge would be much worse. The splinters on that stuff are horrific. :D
Richard

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:04 am

seeaxe wrote:
Sorry have to disagree. I would have said a piece of Wenge would be much worse. The splinters on that stuff are horrific. :D

When I carve necks I have a habit of running my hand along it to get a gauge of how it's going, on wenge necks that can be a real bother, you only have to look at the stuff and it's shooting splinters at you!

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:10 pm

"Nothing worse" hmm a matter of opinion I guess. I was building a formwork for a concrete path once and bent down to pick up a lump hammer, I sat squarely and with great accuracy on a 12mm reo bar that I had only minutes before driven vertically into the ground. It tore through my king gees and my reg grundies as well as some flesh. I pity the poor labourer who got the job of pulling out the formwork.
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:09 pm

DarwinStrings wrote:
"Nothing worse" hmm a matter of opinion I guess. I was building a formwork for a concrete path once and bent down to pick up a lump hammer, I sat squarely and with great accuracy on a 12mm reo bar that I had only minutes before driven vertically into the ground. It tore through my king gees and my reg grundies as well as some flesh. I pity the poor labourer who got the job of pulling out the formwork.
Nasty stuff.... :shock:
Martin