Black Bean anyone?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Black Bean anyone?

Post by jeffhigh » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:47 pm

An Australian manufacturer has recently started proclaiming it's environmental credentials for using "sustainable" Black Bean for fretboards.

My limited exposure to this species used for fretboards on 50's and 60's Matons was not positive, deep divots with the wood sometimes feeling spongy.

Anyone else had any experience, positive or negative

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Re: Black Bean anyone?

Post by DarwinStrings » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:30 pm

Yep Jeff you would want to watch out for those spongy pockets it gets and it ain't no fun to cut with that stench it has. It is a nice looking wood though.
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:51 pm

DarwinStrings wrote:Yep Jeff you would want to watch out for those spongy pockets it gets and it ain't no fun to cut with that stench it has. It is a nice looking wood though.
Stinky fretboard...perfect for stinking hot riffs!!
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:54 pm

From the mystery maker's website:

"The harder the finger board the less bass you have and the more top end you get. Fingerboards have a very big effect on the sound of an acoustic guitar."

Anyone care to comment on this statement?
Martin

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:36 pm

BS
I also liked there spokesman at NAAM complaining that wage rates are very high in Australia.
Have the Cnc's become unionised now?

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:41 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
Anyone care to comment on this statement?
Nope, best to just let them keep talking.
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:03 pm

Yep, I agree with Martin. It makes sense that the strings vibrating over the surface of the fingerboard and what ever that surface is effects the tone of a guitar big time. This discussion has come up with different Reps from wholesale music companies when I worked in the music trade. At least three respected Reps have made the statement that the neck and the fingerboard material contributes to at least a third of the tone of a good acoustic guitar. I have taken lots of notice to these opinions with my own building 90% of my guitars I use Indian Rosewood for tone, good weight, wear, work-ability, great ascetics and stability it has all the requirements you need for a great fingerboard.
Cheers
Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

curly
Blackwood

Post by curly » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:01 pm

It's a funny thing the whole fingerboard influence on tone . I can't claim any great knowledge of the topic as a maker . As I supplier I get a bit of a different perspective which probably just verifies how subjective makers opinion of the tone of their instruments is .
I supply gidgee and other high density arid zone timbers for fingerboards in reasonable quantities , plenty of makers use nothing but . That particular manufacturer swears black and blue that gidgee fingerboards ruin their tone .
I am not the supplier of the black bean though I do commend them trying to get away from less ethical timbers . At 3500 instruments a year that's an impact . Indian rosewood is to some extent plantation grown though the quantity I have handled ( contract drying other people's stock ) was plainly , clearly old growth .
Pete
Curly timbers

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:59 am

I'm just surprised to see Black Bean reappearing as a fretboard timber, when it proved to be lacking in durability when Maton used it half a century ago.

curly
Blackwood

Post by curly » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:13 pm

I entirely agree that black bean seems an odd choice . The open pore structure combined with a low janka seems risky to me . I prepared a list a ways back of suitable native species for fingerboards based on the technical data , castanospermum australae didn't make the list .
That much said , I'm only an amateur maker and the subtleties of tone are beyond the scope of conventional timber technical data .
Pete
Curly timbers