LMI Yellow Glue

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Bob Connor
Admin

LMI Yellow Glue

Post by Bob Connor » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:17 am

This stuff looks interesting. Looks like they've stopped using the LMI white glue.

http://www.lmii.com/products/finishing/ ... ument-glue
ADHESIVESYellowInstrumentGlue28sizesFGX600.jpg
It has a florescent dye which is visible under black light which should make this stuff great as a glue for wooden bindings. I find that some glues are impossible to see until you start throwing some finish on. Depends on the timber but this should speed things up a bit.

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Re: LMI Yellow Glue

Post by peter.coombe » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:18 am

I have been using this stuff ever since my LMI white glue passed it's use by date around 18 months ago. It is different from the white glue, and at first I was sceptical, but have grown to like it. It is more like Titebond than the white glue and is a VERY strong glue if used correctly, but is quite unforgiving. It also sands much better than the old white glue which tended to clog sandpaper and my drum sander strips. However, the white glue was more forgiving of poor joints and did dry harder. Get the joint tight with the yellow glue and it won't let go, the wood will break before the glue joint every time. However, any tiny gap and you will likely get a failed joint. I have had one failure and that was mea culpa. There have been a few reports of bad results with this glue, but they are very likely to be user error rather than a problem with the glue.
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:34 am

Peter, didn't LMII take two shots at replacing the old white glue? They launched one replacement product, then pulled it due (I think) to some negative press and then launched this one. I thought the first replacement was about 18 months ago. Just wondering which product you have. I haven't used either yet, but the second replacement sounds a lot like Titebond 50.

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Post by peter.coombe » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:20 pm

Don't know about that, but I hung out as long as possible before changing so I must have the latter product if you are correct. Anyway the last 2 batches must be the latest product and I have not noticed any difference.

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:33 am

OK. Thanks, Peter.

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Post by peter.coombe » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:59 pm

Looks like they've stopped using the LMI white glue.
Bob, apparently the manufacturer of LMI white glue was taken over by another company and they changed the formula without any notification. Some Luthiers were having trouble with the new formula gelling after a short period of time. I never had that problem, but I always stored the white glue in the fridge. LMI was unable to get a solution to the gelling problem, so they abandoned the white glue and it is no longer available. After some months of having no glue available, LMI announced their yellow glue which they claim is an improvement on the white glue and Titebond. Not sure about that, all glues have their advantages and disadvantages, but it is good stuff.

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Post by Steve.Toscano » Fri May 27, 2016 9:29 pm

Anymore thoughts/reviews on this stuff? Is it as 'slippery' as titebond? (My only gripe of Titebond).

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon May 30, 2016 6:49 am

felix wrote:Anymore thoughts/reviews on this stuff? Is it as 'slippery' as titebond? (My only gripe of Titebond).
I've found if you rub the joint together initially (just two or three short rubs is all it needs, until you feel it 'grab' slightly) whilst applying a little pressure,it stops alot of that slipping once the clamps are applied.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.