Bandsaw advice

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Fisherman
Blackwood

Re: Bandsaw advice

Post by Fisherman » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:12 pm

John Taylor wrote:I recently purchased the Laguna 1412 . Not the suv though. Along with a 3/4" resaw King blade. If you want to do any resawing, this is the best thing I have ever bought. I am cutting Blackwood and tiger myrtle backs about 4 mm thick as straight as you would ever want. It would cut them 1 mm if you needed. These are 230mm high. Note, you still have to set the saw up properly and there are a few you tube videos that will set you right here. I also have an old 14" saw for rough cutting curves etc. you could probably get one like this also for under $200.
Thanks for the review, John. I just got a 1/4 inch carbon steel blade for now, but sounds like a 3/4" Resaw King should be on the shopping list later on. Good to know it will handle resawing.
Alan wrote:I also wanted a Bandsaw for guitar making and to do anything from general sawing to cutting 5mm slices up to 200mm wide for backs, sides and soundboards.
At the Canberra Working with Wood Show late 2015, I purchased a Laguna 14BX - a new model. As yet I have not given it a run as I need to buy a collection of different blades.
If you want to check out this model Laguna, send me a private message as the ACT Woodcraft Guild also purchased two of this model at the Wood Show which are up and running at "the Shed" in Kambar. I would be more than willing to organise to meet you there so you can evaluate them. The 14BX costs just over $2000 plus freight so they are not a budget item.
Thanks for the kind offer, Alan, but I've already purchased. I did strongly consider the 14BX and the SUV but decided the 1412 would meet my needs (and had already doubled the budget already...).

On another note... LMI/Fedex is amazing! Placed an order for a bunch of stuff at 11pm (our time) on Saturday night, and it arrived midday today (Tuesday). I suspect significantly quicker than Australia Post interstate....