Archtop Tailpiece New Design

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Archtop Tailpiece New Design

Post by ozziebluesman » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:08 pm

Hi everyone Happy New Year.

Special thanks to Rocket Rod for his help in fixing the problem. After a chat with Rod he showed me a method to solve the problem. I met Rod for the first time at the Melbourne Guitar Makers Festival May I say his guitar building and finish is some of the finest I have seen!

Some years ago I built my first Archtop from the Benedetto book and plan. The guitar turned out good however it has been a learning experience and I have had issues with the tailpiece anchor to the tail pin using the gut tailpiece fastener similar to what a viola uses. The first tailpiece let go in the workshop at the glue joint between the block on the bottom of the tailpiece. Lucky no one was out there otherwise there could have been catastrophic. Even the whistle noise heard when the tailpiece hurtled through the air I knew straight away what had happened out there.

At the time I asked for some help from the forum and here is the discussion:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3537&hilit=archtop+tailpiece

Basically from our discussion it is an obvious flaw in the design. I tried using Epoxy and also drilling holes inserting three brass pins which I thought would do the trick. All I can say is this was the third time it had let go in the workshop and it is a sound you don't forget. Gives you a real wake up to how much tension is created when a set of medium gauge strings are strung up to concert pitch.

I made a wider flatter block and epoxied it to the bottom of the tailpiece and this held up for a few months but eventually it let go as well. No flying tailpieces this time thank goodness.

I then sanded off the block which left a tailpiece 7 mm thick and I filled the small holes with some ebony dust and black super glue. Also I cut a channel 2 mm wide by 4 mm deep to allow the newly made stainless steel bracket to attach to the tailpiece.

Here are pictures of the bracket made from 2 mm stainless steel

Finally it is now a guitar and not a weapon.

Thanks for looking hope you enjoyed the journey.
Cheers Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

rocket
Blackwood

Re: Archtop Tailpiece New Design

Post by rocket » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:23 pm

Good one Alan, finally got that @#&^%* sorted hey!! looks good and the end pin jack goes well too, 2mm SS not sure if that will stand the strain :D :D , do you think it has any influence on the tone of your guitar? And thanks for the pat on the back!! Happy new year!

Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:52 pm

G'day Rod,
Yep the tone has changed slightly but I also changed the strings to some 11 to 49s. I have 12 to 53s acoustic strings on originally which gave much more volume so a bit hard to hear the tone change but it is more brighter I think.
With the 11s to 49s I think the 2 mm stainless will hold up I suppose time will tell.
Cheers
Alan

Alan Hamley

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:09 pm

I was being funny when i commented about the 2mm stainless Alan, i think a much lighter gauge would still suffice, the main issue in this situation is the connection to the tailpiece and it looks to me that you've got that all sorted :cl :cl
Cheers

Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:05 am

Sorry mate I am a serious bastard sometimes and even give myself the shits! :lol:
There is 4 mm inserted in the tailpiece I doubt it will go anywhere.
I played it this morning and it takes a few days for a guitar to move around a bit to find its sweet spot after restringing. It has more sustain and is louder today. I am pleased with the job as long as it stays together.
Cheers
Al

Alan Hamley