First guitar build

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

eddydenton
Gidgee

First guitar build

Post by eddydenton » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:07 pm

Hi all,

I'm about to put together my first guitar. It's based on an old telecaster replica I had when I was a kid. I've stripped off the old varnish, binding and colour and sanded it out to give it rounded edges. Thanks to the advice on this forum (topic link below) I am going to finish the body with a wipe on epoxy mixed with methylated spirits (thinking zpoxy unless you have a better suggestion) to harden the soft pine and fill pores, then I think around 5 coats of Tru-Oil with 320 sand-paper or 0000 steel wool sanding in between. I want a satin finish and I don't want a super thick varnish and I don't mind a bit of wear over time as I like a bit of character. Sounding good so far?

My next step is the neck which I'm thinking a fretted and unfinished maple tele neck from Ace Guitars http://www.aceguitarparts.aceguitars.com.au/necks.html which I will also finish the back in Tru-Oil. One question I have here is how would you finish the fretboard? Would the same Tru-Oil wipe on technique work here? Obviously I would want to avoid build-up on the frets but I image this would be difficult to achieve if i want an even coverage on the fretboard wood.

My other concern is I'm not sure how accurate the drilled holes are for attaching the neck to the body. I may have to re-fill the holes and re-drill to get the neck on square. Same goes for the new pickguard. What would you guys recommend for this? I assume some kind of putty that dries hard or wood-dust mixed with PVA glue? I'm located in Melbourne so preferably something I can buy locally.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6075&hilit=Wipe+on+finish#p69301
Attachments
IMG_6583.jpg
IMG_6582.jpg

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Re: First guitar build

Post by Steve.Toscano » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:04 am

As to finish in the fretboard - dont...
Ive never put a finish in any of my fretboards, just sanded to 400 and left bare. However if you mus t have a finish you can buy a fretboard oil, i think behlen make one - google it to find supplier.

As to filling the holes, i have done this a few times and have drilled them out and filled with dowl - only on guitars with a solid colour finish so havent had to worry about grain/ timber matching.

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:02 pm

Hi Eddy
If the fretboard is maple then I have seen some teles and starts with varnished finish. It's not necessary though and will fairly quickly wear through. If you are going for a "lived in" look, then I agree with Felix, just leave it bare. The natural oils from your fingers will do the rest.

With neck holes best wait until you know they don't line up..teles are pretty standard beasts and you might get lucky. Same for pick guard. If it's a pukka tele pick guard it will cover the other holes any way.

Any way best of luck and be sure to post pics on your journey. There's always room for more teles on this forum. Your pine body looks really nice by the way. Have you considered a blonde/translucent butterscotch finish?

Cheers
Richard
Richard

Crafty Fox
Blackwood

Post by Crafty Fox » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:17 pm

I think the fretboard finish is really down to personal taste. I still haven't worn through the finish on my 38 year old Strat!
I've lacquered a couple of fretboards, Jarrah and Sheoak on electrics, just because I prefer the look. I've also oiled the same woods on other builds.
I had a 'show-and-tell' with a local classical builder who asked why I my lacquered fretboards.....I told him its been good enough for Fender and Rickenbacker for over 60 years, so its good for me too.
Its your choice. Enjoy!
Ken