The zero fret

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

joolstacho
Myrtle

Re: The zero fret

Post by joolstacho » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:29 pm

Personally I like the ZF. Mind you, I often use a slightly higher zero fret, which allows for a slightly lower action 'up top' or heavier 'country pos' playing before buzzing becomes an issue.
Obviously fret levelling needs to be done before the zero fret is inserted, (and I usually make the ZF slot just a tweak wider so that replacing it is easier). Making a nut for use with a ZF? -maybe one hour for me, -just string spacing... Making a nut for non ZF? Maybe 2-4 hours to get those string-heights close to perfect. (But then I'm no expert).

old_picker
Blackwood

Post by old_picker » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:19 pm

kiwigeo wrote: Ray, a compensated saddle is fine for most of the fretboard but the lower frets will still not be correctly intonated with just a compensated saddle.
Having setup many 100's of nuts and bridges on electric guitars I find chords in farmers corner very sweet when I'm done. Certainly you can go over the board with a very good tuner and find some notes out a little but most players will not notice these small anomalies. I get things as good as I can in a very imperfect system and have never had a complaint that intonation is wrong.

In an acoustic instrument with a fixed saddle I can see the case for intonated nuts but at the end of the day this type of refinement is way over the head [or ears] of the vast majority of players.

my2c for what its worth

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:23 pm

Stewmac has entered the debate! These guys will do anything for a sale! :cl
http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Su ... N_20160909

Do you have zero glide nuts?
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"