QLD Maple b/s for traditional classical

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

amos
Gidgee

QLD Maple b/s for traditional classical

Post by amos » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:15 pm

Hi , I'm new here, located in St Kilda.
Have made 6 steel string guitars and many solid body guitars & basses.
About to start on my first classical a traditional torres style, with euro spruce top.
I have some stock of figured QLD Maple which i have been using on my steel strings. Wondering what peoples thoughts are on using QLD Maple for back and sides on a classical as opposed to the traditional rosewoods.

Is Qld Maple hard enough to get loudness and projection? Or will it be too 'muddy'?.
This guitar will have a very stiff non live back.

I have worked with indian rosewood before and found that i get a huge allergy reaction to the dust (seems to actually be from any 'dark' timbers), plus I am wanting to get started on this guitar this weekend. Hence trying to use what I have - being the Qld Maple, and what doesnt give me a reaction.

Thanks in advance
Amos

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: QLD Maple b/s for traditional classical

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:39 pm

amos wrote:Hi , I'm new here, located in St Kilda.
Have made 6 steel string guitars and many solid body guitars & basses.
About to start on my first classical a traditional torres style, with euro spruce top.
I have some stock of figured QLD Maple which i have been using on my steel strings. Wondering what peoples thoughts are on using QLD Maple for back and sides on a classical as opposed to the traditional rosewoods.

Is Qld Maple hard enough to get loudness and projection? Or will it be too 'muddy'?.
This guitar will have a very stiff non live back.

I have worked with indian rosewood before and found that i get a huge allergy reaction to the dust (seems to actually be from any 'dark' timbers), plus I am wanting to get started on this guitar this weekend. Hence trying to use what I have - being the Qld Maple, and what doesnt give me a reaction.

Thanks in advance
Amos
My ten cents worth......

The back isn't live and the sides....well they're just there to hold the top and back apart. The neck.....choice of wood will influence sustain.

If you want loudness and projection......build the top light and stiff. To minimise string energy leaking down the sides use solid linings for the top. The bridge......minimize weight without losing stiffness by using a carbon fibre/wood sandwich (you can omit the bridge patch).
Martin