repairing an old Gibson J50 -1968

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

rumina
Gidgee

repairing an old Gibson J50 -1968

Post by rumina » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:45 pm

Hello to all,
I am a luthier hobbyist and this is my first post .. so ask forgiveness immediately for any error in my post.
I am currently repairing an old Gibson J50 1968.
this is what I discovered by removing the top:
- The top is bent toward the soundhole and has several cracks
- The bridge has been replaced several times;
- The original bridge plate was removed and replaced with large pieces of spruce (total plate thickness: 12 mm);
- The X bracings were ruined and broken; They were added over time various pieces of Brazilian rosewood to reinforce the structure.
So, I think to do so:
- Remaking completely top (I have available the beautiful Sitka spruce boards cut in the 70s) + new Top bracing (original vintage scheme and bracings dimensions)
- Strengthen the structure by removing the original kerfing and putting reverse kerfing;
- Graphite flying buttress (thanks to you, Master Rick Turner).
Is it worth it to redo the top and add all these reinforcements?
Or clean up the original top (removing the warping with steam)?
What do you think?
thank you..
Attachments
Copia di IMG_0013.JPG
original top (warped, cracked, etc)
Copia di IMG_0012.JPG
warped top
Copia di IMG_0011.JPG
bracings+reinforcings+....etc..

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: repairing an old Gibson J50 -1968

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:04 pm

That guitar has had a hard life......the underside of the top looks like a donkey's breakfast :shock:

The bridge plate area is a war zone....12mm thick spruce has been stuck in this area? With that heavy looking bridge that top must be as stiff as a dead dingo's dinger :shock:

Im wondering whats going on with all the extra holes in the bridge plate(s)? Looks someone had a spasm while they were drilling the bridge pin holes and ended up drilling a few extra holes.

If it was me I'd probably be making a new top......the rosette doesn't look like it's worth saving.

If you're thinking of putting in flying buttress bracing then you're going to have to make modifications to head block and sides. Is it worth the effort?
Martin

aljosha
Kauri

Post by aljosha » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:55 pm

well, 68 ain't really vintage nor a real good year (which must not mean anything)
so retopping is not out of the question

but what does the rest of it look like?
most Gibsons of that age (and earlier) are beaters, so putting on a new top might look completely wrong...
you can always send this one through the sander inside only, rebrace and use it, whilst keeping the outside look like original

depends on the bridge area...
so I'd take that off, and see what you've got

and just cause you mention it, I don't think its a good idea to try and make anyhing other than a vintage (style) gibson from this
so no new fancy techniques, you'd have to change more than just the top for those to work the way they're supposed to
so you'd always get only a halfarsed compromise...
and on top might have trouble selling it at some point...
a vintage correct retop won't do very much harm, as long as its done to vintage specs...

although there are ways of giving a new top that oxidized look (by oxidizing it, preferably ;))

well, that's my humble opinion at least
best
josh

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:39 pm

I wouldn't replace that top. Bit of work to get it functional, but worth it

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

rumina
Gidgee

Post by rumina » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:02 am

thanks guys for the advice,
the guitar was in good condition except the top.
the nitrocellulose is cracked but is easily solved by wetting the paint with a bit of nitrocellulose diluted (I tried it on my '62 Gibson ES 125 and returned new).
The neck is ok!

My idea of ​​the flying buttress was only to strengthen the guitar and reduce the stress of the top.
I've already installed on other guitars, and it is not so difficult, and really create a solid structure that does not deform absolutely.
I do not know, however, whether and how to change the original sound of the guitar.

I know that in terms of vintage is not correct ... but ... I'm curious about the result !!

I was also considering to keep the top and remove only bracings but there are many cracks here and there on the top ... and under the bridge are missing pieces of top spuce. So it's worth it to keep it and restore it? I think not ..

Oh, also:
- The neck I can not remove it either with steam !!!!!!
It had already happened with a '72 gretsch RocJet with the neck stuck with gallons of cyanoacrylate.
- You tell me the top radius? I do not find on the internet ..

Thanks again,
I await your opinion ...