Busato guitar

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Busato guitar

Post by blackalex1952 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:30 pm

I found something that I find interesting regarding "Selmac" style guitars here. Busato guitars are the legendary offshoot of the French/Italian school of jazz guitars, the main base of the original luthiers being in Mirecourt France. There is quite a lot of info on the page I have posted re Busato.They are noted for their projection, volume and flute like sound. But the thing that got my attention is in the video around 0:30 on the timeline. Have a listen when Michael taps the top! Busatos had a larger lower bout than Selmers, a more domed top, referred to as a "Bombe" rather than a "Pliage" and a rather domed back, giving a lower Helmholtz resonance. Busato used multiple pieces of spruce for his soundboards. My speculation is that he did this in order to create his famous "bombe", bending each piece to a different angle then shooting each piece after bending to join them up. Less brutal stress wise than a heat bent pliage, because the soundboard edges are not forced flat again when the soundboard is clamped to the sides.Well that's my theory, anyway...
https://youtu.be/a_0A5L5Cnjw
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Re: Busato guitar

Post by blackalex1952 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:39 pm

To me that resonance sounds like G, but slightly sharp, a bit on the low side of sharp according to the Gore/Gilet philosophy of setting resonances between scale tones, ie it should in theory be place a little more between G and G#. Gypsy guitars are a little low on sustain when compared to other steel strings, more percussive like Flamenco guitars, so possibly not as critical? Interesting to note however, is how long that resonance lasts, indicating a soundboard of high mobility...Also note the scale length of 675mm, lots of string energy there when coupled with a high bridge and consequent break angle.
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"