Water stain on French Polished surface

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Water stain on French Polished surface

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:33 pm

Not exactly guitar related but Im sure at some stage a repair person will come across someone whos put a beer down on top of their guitar.

Ive got a friend with a french polished church pew with a white water mark on it courtesy of her son who thought it would be cool to lie down on the pew with a heat bag under his shoulder.

Ive seen a variety of methods for dealing with such marks including a very coll one where you douse the surface in meths...and then set fire to it.

Rob or anyone else with experience in such things....some sagely advice would be appreciated.
Martin

auscab
Blackwood

Re: Water stain on French Polished surface

Post by auscab » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:33 pm

Yes , heat can fix it if its not to deep . A heat gun sometimes fixes it quickly , heat can sort of fry up the shellac though and leave it rough , it gets worse if its a thick body of shellac.

A dry rubber with just metho is the usual way , it doesn't matter if there is a little shellac in there as well , just light straight strokes and if it's not to deep its a great way of making the white mark go .

If it's deep , and sometimes the white, curdled ( What I like to call it ) shellac can go all the way back to the timber , and the first two methods don't work, then Ive usually had to give it a cut back with oil and turps and a 400 grit paper and remove some, or all the curdled shellac and start again .

Rob

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:13 pm

auscab wrote:Yes , heat can fix it if its not to deep . A heat gun sometimes fixes it quickly , heat can sort of fry up the shellac though and leave it rough , it gets worse if its a thick body of shellac.

A dry rubber with just metho is the usual way , it doesn't matter if there is a little shellac in there as well , just light straight strokes and if it's not to deep its a great way of making the white mark go .

If it's deep , and sometimes the white, curdled ( What I like to call it ) shellac can go all the way back to the timber , and the first two methods don't work, then Ive usually had to give it a cut back with oil and turps and a 400 grit paper and remove some, or all the curdled shellac and start again .

Rob
Advice from the master...brilliant thanks Rob
Martin

auscab
Blackwood

Post by auscab » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:42 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
Advice from the master...brilliant thanks Rob
:D No worries.
Obviously, you can add a bit of oil if all is going good .

Rob

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:37 pm

The stain wasn't too deep so I gave it a bit of a work over with a muneca loaded with meths only.....worked like a charm.

Thanks for the advice Rob.
Martin

auscab
Blackwood

Post by auscab » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:06 am

Good Martin , that's how the old polishers fixed it that I watched. You see that repair a lot with furniture.

Menuca yeah , that's for Spanish polishing yes ? I suppose the Americans did have to come up with another name for it? :lol:

I had a French guy with a strong accent come into the shop asking restoration advice, we got to talking and I mentioned French polishing , I asked him had he ever heard of it ? , he shook his head and said no ! He knew nothing about it or what it was called in France.

I do wonder what the french call it , and the pad for applying the shellac, and what that translates to in English ?

Rob

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:10 am

auscab wrote: I had a French guy with a strong accent come into the shop asking restoration advice, we got to talking and I mentioned French polishing , I asked him had he ever heard of it ? , he shook his head and said no ! He knew nothing about it or what it was called in France.

I do wonder what the french call it , and the pad for applying the shellac, and what that translates to in English ?

Rob
I believe the term "French Polishing" was coined by the Brits.......it was a foreign method of applying shellac and because it was foreign they called it "french"....even though it's origins weren't French.
Martin