Clear "scratchplate" material

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Alan
Sassafras

Clear "scratchplate" material

Post by Alan » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:15 pm

Many years ago I had a clear film "scratchplate" added to a classical guitar at Gerard Gilet's shop in Botany.

Can anyone tell me what material this is and where I can purchase a small amount. I use a strap with a plastic hook that attaches to the sound hole of my Baritone and then goes under the waist and up to a loop around my neck. I find it gives me greater left hand/arm freedom when playing the Uke. However, the plastic hook is leaving a mark in the finish on the spruce top and I would like to add a small amount of the film to protect the soundboard.

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Re: Clear "scratchplate" material

Post by Mark McLean » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:51 pm

Gerard still sells it. It is on his website:
http://www.giletguitars.com.au/
Click on luthier supplies, scratchplate material, and look for the clear self-adhesive stuff. You can cut it to shape/size for your uke. You can also get self-adhesive clear scratchplate material from Stewart-McDonald or LMI
Mark

old_picker
Blackwood

Post by old_picker » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:22 am

AFAIK AMS stocks it in which case your local music shop can order it in for - if you like i have a sheets which you can have for cost + post
it is quite thin stuff and will only go on a lacquered surface successfully - it is sticky on the back

Alan
Sassafras

Post by Alan » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:52 am

Many thanks Mark and "old picker"

Didn't think to look on Gerard's website - or Stewmac or LMI - that would be too sensible - feeling a little silly for asking the obvious :roll: