Hlw do I install jack in a cigar box.

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

mickeyj4j
Blackwood

Hlw do I install jack in a cigar box.

Post by mickeyj4j » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:30 pm

Hi all I am going to make a stompbox foot drum from a cigar box. I have all the supplies. I just have a problem the walls are too thick to mount
Needing ideas as I can't easily make a bigger counter sunk hole on the inside. Drill is too big.
Just a simple musician who plays for fun and enjoymet here.

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Re: Hlw do I install jack in a cigar box.

Post by Steve.Toscano » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:10 pm

Get a smaller drill :lol:

Depending on the diameter of the jack get a matching T-nut and insert that from the inside. Just make sure the jack never undoes from the T-nut.

Otherwise chisel out a channel on the inside to make the side thinner where the jack is..

Lex
Myrtle

Post by Lex » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:44 am

How thick are the walls ?

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:27 am

-use a straight router bit through a hole to the drill on the outside to sink a larger hole on the inside
- or use a jack plate
-or use an endpin jack

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:48 pm

Drill a shallow larger hole with a spade or forstener bit from outside (diam large enough to take the nut)......drill right through with a smaller bit of same diameter as the threaded section of your jack. Same process you'd go through when installing a T nut.
Martin

mickeyj4j
Blackwood

Post by mickeyj4j » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:28 pm

Lex wrote:How thick are the walls ?
See the pic bigger than jack. Will measure later

mickeyj4j
Blackwood

Post by mickeyj4j » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:29 pm

jeffhigh wrote:-use a straight router bit through a hole to the drill on the outside to sink a larger hole on the inside
- or use a jack plate
-or use an endpin jack
Can't don't have router and router is too big to fit Inside the box.

mickeyj4j
Blackwood

Post by mickeyj4j » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:31 pm

kiwigeo wrote:Drill a shallow larger hole with a spade or forstener bit from outside (diam large enough to take the nut)......drill right through with a smaller bit of same diameter as the threaded section of your jack. Same process you'd go through when installing a T nut.
Won't work jack needs to be flush with outside of box so cable can plug in.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:58 pm

mickeyj4j wrote:
kiwigeo wrote:Drill a shallow larger hole with a spade or forstener bit from outside (diam large enough to take the nut)......drill right through with a smaller bit of same diameter as the threaded section of your jack. Same process you'd go through when installing a T nut.
Won't work jack needs to be flush with outside of box so cable can plug in.
You might have to bite the bullet and use a straight plug instead of a right angle.

Only way I can think of getting socket flush on the outside is to drill jack hole and then ream out a larger hole on inside using a reverse counterbore....not something you can pick up at your local Bunnings but is actually a useful tool to have around.

http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Hole ... d=12106110
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:59 pm

mickeyj4j wrote:
jeffhigh wrote:-use a straight router bit through a hole to the drill on the outside to sink a larger hole on the inside
- or use a jack plate
-or use an endpin jack
Can't don't have router and router is too big to fit Inside the box.
Use a small laminate trimmer
Martin

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:38 am

kiwigeo wrote:Only way I can think of getting socket flush on the outside is to drill jack hole and then ream out a larger hole on inside using a reverse counterbore....not something you can pick up at your local Bunnings but is actually a useful tool to have around.

http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Hole ... d=12106110
That's how I do mine or I use a standard engineering counterbore, they are typically smaller in length than a standard twist drill and chucked fully into the chuck if I tilt the drill so the body is resting on the other end of the box side, it does drill on the angle of course so I drill until the deepest side is to depth. Then I take the counterbore out of the drill, the timber used in a cigarbox is quite soft so I just square up the bottom of the hole by turning the counterbore by hand. Either that (which is how it works all the time for me) or you can glue a small slither of veneer on the 'deep' side of the pocket to act as a packer so the jack sits in square.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

dshaker
Myrtle

Post by dshaker » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:35 pm

Poking around a hardware store, you might be able to find a threaded bushing that would mate with the jack instead of the threaded ring. Failing that, maybe you could find a tap of the same size and an unthreaded bushing that could be tapped to match the jack.
-Doug Shaker

dshaker
Myrtle

Post by dshaker » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:49 pm

Thinking about it, the idea of a threaded machine bushing makes no sense, but the idea of buying a machine bushing and tapping it to the correct size for the jack does make sense.
-Doug Shaker

Dekka
Blackwood

Post by Dekka » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:16 am

It's a bit dodgy but it works....

1. Secure your box to a bench.
2. Dill 1/4" hole where jack is to go.
3. Get yourself a 3/4"+ diameter straight router bit with a 1/4"shaft. (make sure the cutting edges run the full length of the cutter body or slightly beyond at the shaft end)
4. Insert shaft via inner side.
5. Secure shaft in chuck of variable-speed battery drill or "Tech gun".
6. Using normal drilling direction, slowly apply pulling pressure. BE CAREFUL

NB: - [The tool will resist after a few millimetres because not all the inner diameter material will be removed. Simply take out the router bit and remove the residual wood by hand with a small chisel and repeat until desired depth is achieved.]
"Tuoba-esra si od I gnihtyreve."

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:40 am

Dekka wrote:It's a bit dodgy but it works....

3. Get yourself a 3/4"+ diameter straight router bit with a 1/4"shaft. (make sure the cutting edges run the full length of the cutter body or slightly beyond at the shaft end)

NB: - [The tool will resist after a few millimetres because not all the inner diameter material will be removed. Simply take out the router bit and remove the residual wood by hand with a small chisel and repeat until desired depth is achieved.]

That's exactly what I meant by my much shorter"-use a straight router bit through a hole to the drill on the outside to sink a larger hole on the inside" I have had to do this on a few electronic projects with wood boxes

But given the OP's lack of tools, a jack plate may be his best option
http://www.realparts.com.au/hardware-an ... hrome.html

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:19 pm

Dekka wrote:It's a bit dodgy but it works....

Pretty much a cheap a***e version of a reverse counterbore.

Like Dekka says go easily with the drill and put some sort of reference mark on the shaft so you can see how much progress you've made.
Martin

mickeyj4j
Blackwood

Post by mickeyj4j » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:39 pm

Lol all this technical info. When all I did was to mark and chisel out a notch to half the depth of the side and walla jack fits. Man the simplest option that nobody thinks of first. Took me around 5-10 min with my novice skills.

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Post by Steve.Toscano » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:59 pm

mickeyj4j wrote:Lol all this technical info. When all I did was to mark and chisel out a notch to half the depth of the side and walla jack fits. Man the simplest option that nobody thinks of first. Took me around 5-10 min with my novice skills.
felix wrote: Otherwise chisel out a channel on the inside to make the side thinner where the jack is..
:wink:

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:28 pm

felix wrote:
mickeyj4j wrote:Lol all this technical info. When all I did was to mark and chisel out a notch to half the depth of the side and walla jack fits. Man the simplest option that nobody thinks of first. Took me around 5-10 min with my novice skills.
felix wrote: Otherwise chisel out a channel on the inside to make the side thinner where the jack is..
:wink:
Keep in mind that you've learned how to handle a bunch of other situations where the neatness of the solution might be more critical or the location may not be as accessible as is the case for your jack (eg inside of a neck headblock).
Martin