The Job Ive been putting off for years

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

The Job Ive been putting off for years

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:27 pm

4 days ago I finally got started on a job Ive been meaning to do for many years now.......digging out and cataloging all the wood Ive accumulated. It's driven partly by a desire to know exactly what Ive got on my shelves but its also a response to constant nagging from my wife who's concerned that if I carc it she'll be left with the job of IDing and then getting rid of my wood.

Highlights so far - finding a shitload of really nice Swiss Spruce I got off Tim.
Lowlights - finding a bunch of shitty furry mould infested tops supplied by da Costa. I ran one set through the sander to get rid of the fur but by the time Id taken enough off to get rid of the fur and the ugly Texta pen scrawl the top was down to less than 3mm thick. The tops were used to start my wood burner this afternoon.
Martin

Nick
Blackwood

Re: The Job Ive been putting off for years

Post by Nick » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:50 am

kiwigeo wrote:4 days ago I finally got started on a job Ive been meaning to do for many years now.......digging out and cataloging all the wood Ive accumulated. It's driven partly by a desire to know exactly what Ive got on my shelves but its also a response to constant nagging from my wife who's concerned that if I carc it she'll be left with the job of IDing and then getting rid of my wood.

Highlights so far - finding a shitload of really nice Swiss Spruce I got off Tim.
Lowlights - finding a bunch of shitty furry mould infested tops supplied by da Costa. I ran one set through the sander to get rid of the fur but by the time Id taken enough off to get rid of the fur and the ugly Texta pen scrawl the top was down to less than 3mm thick. The tops were used to start my wood burner this afternoon.
Maccaferri's use a 2mm top but it sounds like your bearshit wood was put to it's proper use :wink:. Must be nice to come across gems you'd forgotten you had but I'd take your time if I were you, sounds like your wife realises that your worth more in a veneered MDF box than upright. Being a nurse I'm sure she knows ways of an "untraceable" death :shock: .
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Mark Fogleman
Beefwood

Post by Mark Fogleman » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:27 pm

My wife calls it "Shopping in the closet".

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:06 pm

Register as a business and you'll have to do this every tax year, however then you need to put a $ value on it... That's when it gets scary!

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:26 pm

demonx wrote:...., however then you need to put a $ value on it...
Right now Im working on a diplomatic way to tell my wife how much Ive spent on wood over the last few years. If I reveal the true figure Ill be eating humble pie after paying her out last week for all the shoes she's been buying of late.
Martin

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:30 pm

That's a big job you've taken on there Martin. :shock:
Wish you well.
Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

Cloverfield
Kauri

Post by Cloverfield » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:38 pm

Any chance you happened to find some nice Madagascar rosewood in there too? :)
~~~Simon

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:48 am

Cloverfield wrote:Any chance you happened to find some nice Madagascar rosewood in there too? :)
Haven't started on the backs and sides yet...
Martin

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:43 am

Obviously no work on the rigs for the next 3-4 months.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:26 am

kiwigeo wrote:
Right now Im working on a diplomatic way to tell my wife how much Ive spent on wood over the last few years. If I reveal the true figure Ill be eating humble pie after paying her out last week for all the shoes she's been buying of late.
I encourage my wife to indulge in shoe buying, build her racks etc.
Never any complaints about my purchases

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:33 am

Bob Connor wrote:Obviously no work on the rigs for the next 3-4 months.
The industry is in a major downturn......at my age it's not worth busting my nuts chasing any work that is around. Im one of the lucky ones who can comfortably retire....not so rosey for the young guys in my game.
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:33 am

jeffhigh wrote:
kiwigeo wrote:
I encourage my wife to indulge in shoe buying, build her racks etc.
Never any complaints about my purchases
LOL....smart thinking :D
Martin

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:57 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
Bob Connor wrote:Obviously no work on the rigs for the next 3-4 months.
The industry is in a major downturn......
That is Australian industry in general. A factory that I do casual work at to pick up the difference from luthiery is one of the biggest processed food companies world wide and they have just cut back production by 30% at the local plant, they have also closed three other plants over the last year. That's hundreds and hundreds of unemployed.

I keep my foot in the door there as I can make more money there than as a guitar builder, but if I relied on the factory as an income I'd be screwed as my only incoming money lately is from guitar building with only getting two shifts a month at the factory.

Australian industry is dying. People keep importing everything so our local producers and growers are suffering and in many cases shutting up shop. Not a good sign for our future.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:12 pm

The drivers behind the current oil patch downturn are not really the same as those causing the demise of manufacturing here in Australia. Oil and gas like mining is a cyclical industry driven primarily by the price of commodities.....which in turn are generally driven by world economics as well as political situations.

What people should be concerned about is the future for the price of oil. With severe cutbacks in exploration by nearly every oil company the rate at which depleting oil reserves are replaced by new finds is decreasing and eventually a point will be reached where the supply and demand balance will tip and well be looking at oil back over $100/barrel. The other point to note is that each time there's a downturn people leave the industry...many for good. Alot of these people are like me with 30+ years experience. When the next upturn comes experienced people will be thin on the ground and day rates will be through the roof......all adding to the cost of exploration and production.
Martin