Sweet deal

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

matthew
Blackwood

Sweet deal

Post by matthew » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:34 am

Needs a bit of a polish and good as new.

Someone snap it up! Bargain!

http://m.ebay.com/itm/181838526161?_mwBanner=1

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Sweet deal

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:30 am

The soundhole looks like it could be salvaged.
Martin

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:31 pm

Comes without a neck very sweet deal :shock: the last owner couldn't have been to impressed with the way it played or his name was El-kabong!
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:03 pm

kiwigeo wrote:The soundhole looks like it could be salvaged.
I've got a whole drawer full of maccaferri soundholes both D holes and petite bouche style, I was told one of the holes was off a Reinhardt owned guitar so is authentic vintage. I also have another drawer with roundholes of varying sizes if anybody wants one they are available and I'm willing to sell them for five grand a piece. There are some genuinely vintage soundholes that I've collected from various repairs.

That guitar must have been from Django's 'Pete Townsend' phase.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:57 pm

You seem a bit low on 3" holes
Martin

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:27 pm

Being an arch top builder I'm surprised you don't have ay F holes there Nick. Or are they hidden under the round holes?
Richard

MattW
Myrtle

Post by MattW » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:41 pm

"It has a few dings and cracks that can be expected of a guitar this old. "

Thats about 47 pissed-off girlfriends old :shock:
Cheers

Matt

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:02 am

seeaxe wrote:Being an arch top builder I'm surprised you don't have ay F holes there Nick. Or are they hidden under the round holes?
Yeah I'm out of 'f' holes just for the moment Richard, just waiting had a new shipment arrive. This order was the first from mainland China so just hope they are sized accurately! Here's a quick pick I took before the customs and MPI guys moved in for an inspection.

I'm sure there's some three inch holes there somewhere Martin, it's just a matter of having a good ferret around for them, I use Four inch and 3/8" holes more so hence why you see the majority are those.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:47 pm

Are all theses soundhole suggestions for air guitars?I have a whole container load of air guitar tuners that I can't move-mainly because air guitar players never tune their instruments before playing them! Even with all the hot air, they don't need humidity control either...makes the soundboards simple to brace BTW...also, the truss rods don't work, mainly because the truss rod covers are hard to find and the allen keys don't fit.
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

lauburu
Blackwood

Post by lauburu » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:20 am

I'm quite surprised that builders exploring advanced concepts such as node and antinode shapes of Chladni patterns are persisting with the archaic notion of physical soundholes. I am convinced the future lies in digital soundholes. They take no space, they can be emailed from Europe or China in seconds, they still attract no import duties (though the government will change this) and, if saved in a non-lossy format, can be enlarged and reproduced without noticeable degradation. Below I have included samples of a traditional round hole (in the Torres style), f holes (Amati style) and a grande bouche (Benedetto influence). Orders taken, very reasonable prices.

Miguel

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:14 pm

The digital soundholes are copyright under the Berne convention. They come in only one shape...APPLE...and are supposed to be user friendly, but are not,only run on the latest o/s and are called iHoles...made by guess who? ........A******s
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:08 pm

blackalex1952 wrote:The digital soundholes are copyright under the Berne convention. They come in only one shape...APPLE...and are supposed to be user friendly, but are not,only run on the latest o/s and are called iHoles...made by guess who? ........A******s
Windows 10......the nearest digital equivalent to a black hole :mrgreen:
Martin