Elsie-May dread cutaway build

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Elsie-May dread cutaway build

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:33 pm

demonx wrote:
56nortondomy wrote:Nice Allan, I use a balloon to cover the sound hole, quick and easy.
Wayne
That is very handy if you're spraying with water based products, I'll be honest and say I'd have never thought of that!

Try spray 2k and see how the balloon fares, I'd hazard a guess and say it'd melt down over the top.

Everything I spray is done in 2k.
You could try a blown up nitrile glove....
Martin

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:51 pm

kiwigeo wrote: You could try a blown up nitrile glove....
Nitrile gloves are resistant to small amounts of 2k thinner, hence why I wear them while painting.

However, you will discover that if you're wearing one and it gets a decent dose of thinner they expand and the 2k seeps through and you have a wet hand!

Yet another idea I wouldn't risk on a actual guitar.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:00 pm

demonx wrote:
kiwigeo wrote: You could try a blown up nitrile glove....
Nitrile gloves are resistant to small amounts of 2k thinner, hence why I wear them while painting.

However, you will discover that if you're wearing one and it gets a decent dose of thinner they expand and the 2k seeps through and you have a wet hand!

Yet another idea I wouldn't risk on a actual guitar.
What about a heavy duty grade "Rough Rider" condom then......theyre supposed to be able to withstand any sort of rough treatment :mrgreen:
Martin

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:32 am

I've sprayed in darn near all finishes (I think child's poster paint is the exception), two pot, Acrylic, Nitro and pre cat and I've always used the balloon trick. I will say however that with the two pot, instead of leaving the balloon exposed as in Wayne's pic, I would cut out a piece of stiff cardboard out slightly larger than the soundhole with a small hole in the centre, fit the un-inflated balloon through the hole in the cardboard and leave the neck protruding, slip the whole lot through the soundhole then inflate the balloon until it's holding the cardboard tight up against the back of the soundboard then stick a piece of masking tape over any of the balloon left sticking out.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:24 am

Nick wrote:I've sprayed in darn near all finishes (I think child's poster paint is the exception), two pot, Acrylic, Nitro and pre cat and I've always used the balloon trick. I will say however that with the two pot, instead of leaving the balloon exposed as in Wayne's pic, I would cut out a piece of stiff cardboard out slightly larger than the soundhole with a small hole in the centre, fit the un-inflated balloon through the hole in the cardboard and leave the neck protruding, slip the whole lot through the soundhole then inflate the balloon until it's holding the cardboard tight up against the back of the soundboard then stick a piece of masking tape over any of the balloon left sticking out.
All of that sounds like a whole lot of messing around compared to simply putting a few pieces of tape on!

garryalb
Myrtle

Post by garryalb » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:16 am

This is the easiest method I have used. A light cardboard cone supported by a roll of wadding. It is a few mm wider than the sound hole and just pops into place. Has the advantage of being quick to remove when sanding and the back spray seems to coat the sound hole edge better.

Garry.

garryalb
Myrtle

Post by garryalb » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:20 am

Photo didn't load,

Garry.
Attachments
image.jpg

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:54 am

garryalb wrote:Photo didn't load,

Garry.
Santa's missing part of his beard... :mrgreen:
Martin

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:12 am

demonx wrote:All of that sounds like a whole lot of messing around compared to simply putting a few pieces of tape on!
Once you've done it a few times it becomes a very quick operation (doesn't take that long to cut out a rough circle with a pair of scissors) compared to trying to get those last couple of bits of tape to stick without pushing the whole lot back into the guitar, but that's just how I do it, people should do it whatever way they're comfortable with, I was just putting it out there into the knowledge pool in case others (like Wayne, who likes to use balloons) want to use it.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

blackalex1952
Blackwood

Post by blackalex1952 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:44 am

I use a piece of cardboard, folded down the middle so I can slip it into the hole easily then unfold.First, I stuff one of the blocks of foam rubber that I use to sit the guitar on for tea leaf reading! Santa might be malting, but my spare mattress keeps shrinking!
"Everything I say on the topic is based solely upon inexperience and assumption!"

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:07 pm

Back in the spray room again. This time I screwed a hook into the rear block and hung it upside down.

Seemed a lot easier to spray this way. I've always planned on building a rotisserie but it's still on the ever growing "to do" list.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (69.68 KiB) Viewed 9708 times