Please help !!!

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Re: Please help !!!

Post by charangohabsburg » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:33 am

LOL. Nice try but certainly knocking on the wrong door.
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:16 am

A reminder to new arrivals to this forum to aquaint yourself with the forum rules and guidelines.....and if you plan on spamming this forum be a bit more subtle than bursting onto the forum with a huge spammy advertisement for loot to fund your latest business venture :?
Martin

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:24 pm

Well, now the opening post (obviously not stemming from my keyboard) has been removed.

To help occasional readers understand what happened: the thread opener asked for support for fundrising his luthierie business, which I considered a quite odd and impertinent attempt, especially on a luthiers forum. Hence my sarcastic comment which now appears as the first message of the thread. :?
Markus

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:42 pm

Yep Markus sure was strange, and how is your northern summer going?

Steve

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:14 pm

Kamusur wrote: and how is your northern summer going?
Hot. About as hot as the Australian winter in some places is cold this year. It seems that the planet as a whole still maintains some kind of equilibrium.
Markus

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:27 pm

Markus,

The OP's post got nuked because the admins/mods didn't think it fair that he should get a free leg up with his new business courtesy of the ANZLF while many of our members have or are in the process of building their businesses employing more above board and legitimate methods.

I left the thread up as a warning to any other newbies who might think the ANZLF is here to provide free advertising for their business or products. Your post was of much higher quality than the OP's pathetic effort and I couldn't bring myself to delete it :mrgreen:

Cheers Martin
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:28 pm

charangohabsburg wrote:
Kamusur wrote: and how is your northern summer going?
Hot. About as hot as the Australian winter in some places is cold this year. It seems that the planet as a whole still maintains some kind of equilibrium.
38 degrees in Basel yesterday according to my niece....
Martin

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:00 pm

Yes, 38° was around 5. July. Nothing special for some tropical spots in Australia I guess. Now we are back below 30° but it will go up a bit again during this week.

Last week I was helping my neighbour harvesting cherries. A good part of them had dried still hanging on the trees completely within just a couple of days. According to my neighbour's father (87 by now but still climbing up the ladder) they last picked dried cherries in 1911 (well this was the generation of his father, of course).
Attachments
2015_P7700_3393-1.jpg
2015_P7700_3393-1.jpg (191.02 KiB) Viewed 23836 times
Markus

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:03 pm

kiwigeo wrote:Markus,
[...] Your post was of much higher quality than the OP's pathetic effort and I couldn't bring myself to delete it :mrgreen:
I'm honoured! :mrgreen:
Markus

auscab
Blackwood

Post by auscab » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:08 am

charangohabsburg wrote:Well, now the opening post (obviously not stemming from my keyboard) has been removed.

To help occasional readers understand what happened: the thread opener asked for support for fundrising his luthierie business, which I considered a quite odd and impertinent attempt, especially on a luthiers forum. Hence my sarcastic comment which now appears as the first message of the thread. :?

"especially on a luthiers forum."

Ha Ha :lol:

I saw it but hadn't thought of that , your right there Markus .

BTW he posted the same thing on the OLF , It Got some funny responses .

Rob

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:22 am

auscab wrote:[...]

Ha Ha :lol:

I saw it but hadn't thought of that , your right there Markus .
Did you really not think of that? I have to say dear Rob, I'm indeed a bit shocked.
I mean, he basically said "I can make excellent guitars at a much better price than you lot are selling for, but I need your money to make it happen". Quite hilarious I'd say. Maybe it's called "contemporary loot making".
Markus

auscab
Blackwood

Post by auscab » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:40 am

No I didn't think of it . I did think it was a silly request .
But to be asking a group of people who mostly do it for a hobby . And then the ones who are good enough or perfect enough to actually make a decent living from it are pretty scarce around here

So when you said

Yeah , I had a Good cackle :lol:

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:46 am

auscab wrote:

BTW he posted the same thing on the OLF , It Got some funny responses .

Rob
We Aussies and Kiwis are generally alot quicker at picking up that were being taken for a ride. Eventually someone at the OLF will wake up to the fact that the dweeb is breaching forum rules and delete his account.
Martin

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:27 am

Gotta love his optimism though, I wish him well if he's still hanging around here. If you are then you wouldn't have gotten any of my money but I will give a bit of constructive criticism if I may? You really need to lift your final finishing game if you hope to sell your guitars for a living. Leveling surfaces e.t.c (I noticed one of your back rib 'scoops' was quite rippley) as well as the finish itself. You are up against some big names who have had many years of experience getting these things right.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:02 am

Nick wrote:......if he's still hanging around here.
He's not :?
Martin

Dave
Myrtle

Post by Dave » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:51 pm

I'm hoping you fella's will help me!

I'm looking to start my Lutha business and need investment. To really be competitive with some of the other companies I need at least $50,000,000 this will cover setting up a major 6'x4' shed (production plant) in my mates garden, a state of the art finishing system (I have just got my hands on a used but totally functional paint brush) and a worldwide dealer, warranty system (my mate Steve will send you a letter telling you to Fk off if you contact us again).

The money will also cover advertising (I've hand written a postcard and put it in a local shops window). I've already started to heavily invest into suitable stock for the business (my dog came back with a branch yesterday when I took him for a walk) so will also be able to offer extremely rare Tonawood to other suitably qualified Lutha's.

You might say that this is a scam, but let me reassure you my brother works in the Nigerian government and is willing to send you (and that means you personally, not just a random person who he has sent an email to) a bank transfer of $10,000,000 if you provide your account number, sort code, PIN number, date of birth, passport, your wife's measurements and a picture of your pet with a shaved back! The money will be deposited once you send my brother a processing fee of $25,000,000!

So now how do you get in on this amazing opportunity I hear you say! Well all I'm asking for is a small contribution from each member, shall we say $500,000 (you can contribute more but not a cent less otherwise I will send you one of my Gitars). I need the money to be sent by bank transfer (you can also send it by PayPal, but can you mark it as a gift please so I don't have to pay the fees) to my account; which my brother will forward to you from the Nigerian Embassy for an additional fee of only $15,000,000.

I can see us building this company into a innovative, market leader within a week. To effectively lead this company I will buy a small island in the Bahamas and entertain our corporate clients in 5 star luxury, meeting theirs and mine modest requirements of be waited on 24 hours of each and everyday!

Many thanks my friends :)

Joshua Emboyna
The Internet Cafe
419 I Scam You Street
Nigeria

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:16 pm

Joshua,

If you run into Martin Gedades tell the p***k Im still waiting for my $30m...... :?
Martin

Wayde Christie

Post by Wayde Christie » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:12 pm

Hi guys,

I'm actually thinking about doing a similar thing that the OP is trying to do (poorly).

Bear with me... :)

It's a big (and probably unattainable) dream, but I'd like to start a guitar manufacturing business in my home town of Newcastle one day. I have a loooooong way to go before I get there and I've literally only made 3 instruments in my short career, but I've been considering crowd-funding to give me a boost.

The campaign I was considering would mostly be aimed at friends and family, but I was also considering marketing it to consumers who might be looking for a quality instrument at *never to be repeated, campaign-only prices*.

To be honest, I had considered at least mentioning my campaign to you wonderful, charismatic people on this handsome forum, but after reading this thread I probably won't :)

For those of you who aren't familiar with crowd-funding, one of the main reasons people contribute to a campaign is because it feels good to contribute to the dreams and aspirations of a passionate person/band/artist. I regularly pitch-in to campaigns for small independent musicians to help them get their new album or single made, and the satisfaction I get by helping them achieve their dream is greater than receiving a copy of their new CD in the mail.

All of these campaigns have considerable "perks" for contributing also. One of the perks I was considering was a tenor ukulele for everyone who contributed $200 or more. So that perk gets me some cash, and the contributor gets a hand-made instrument - it's a win-win with some good karma attached :)

Here's a good example of a successful crowd-funding campaign for a US-based luthier - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/96 ... escription. That guy needed $5,000 and he raised over $15,000. I think that's pretty cool.

If a regular contributor to this forum (like demonx for example) were to start their own campaign I'd be genuinely thrilled for them and would likely sling a few dollars their way. If one of the perks was a demonx guitar for $500 I'd seriously consider buying one of those too!

I'm not quite sure where I'm going with this but I guess I'd like to say that crowd-funding is great, and that maybe it shouldn't be dismissed so quickly? I realise that the OP has probably never posted anything in this forum so he is being treated like a spammer and deservedly so, but I'm wondering if you'd go easier on me or demonx if we were to mention a crowd-funding campaign of our own (hypothetically)?

I'd really love to hear everyone's feedback, and here's a pic of my latest in-progress guitar for your viewing pleasure. You're welcome :)
FullSizeRender 5.jpg

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:42 pm

Wayde Christie wrote:
I'm not quite sure where I'm going with this but I guess I'd like to say that crowd-funding is great, and that maybe it shouldn't be dismissed so quickly? I realise that the OP has probably never posted anything in this forum so he is being treated like a spammer and deservedly so, but I'm wondering if you'd go easier on me or demonx if we were to mention a crowd-funding campaign of our own (hypothetically)?
It's not the concept of crowd funding that is being dismissed.....the OP broke the forum rules by spruiking his business without first consulting forum admins/mods as per forum rules. The latter is the reason he got his account deleted. The forum is run by a very small group of admins/mods..it's purely a labour of love and we gain no financial benefit from running the forum. The cost of server space/time is borne 100% by Bob. When individuals join the forum with the sole aim of getting free advertising space for their product/business we treat them for what they are...selfish freeloaders.

In answer to your question...if you or Demonx decided to engage in crowd funding and advertise same on the forum I would expect you to first consult with forum admin/mods...which I'm sure you would.
Martin

Wayde Christie

Post by Wayde Christie » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:42 pm

kiwigeo wrote:The OP's post got nuked because the admins/mods didn't think it fair that he should get a free leg up with his new business courtesy of the ANZLF while many of our members have or are in the process of building their businesses employing more above board and legitimate methods.
I don't think crowd-funding campaigns are below-board or illegitimate.

I too am trying to start a lutherie business and I too have a day-job :)

But I'm smart and respectful enough not to burst in the front door of a community forum and say "hey give me money" - that's not cool and it's not going to help.

The discussion that's going on about this on the OLF is actually quite balanced and supportive - I encourage everyone to give it a read :)

http://luthiersforum.com/forum/viewtopi ... 01&t=46008
Last edited by Wayde Christie on Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wayde Christie

Post by Wayde Christie » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:44 pm

kiwigeo wrote:In answer to your question...if you or Demonx decided to engage in crowd funding and advertise same on the forum I would expect you to first consult with forum admin/mods...which I'm sure you would.
I only mention demonx as a hypothetical because I have a solid man-crush on him and he is a great contributor to this forum :D

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:47 pm

Wayde Christie wrote:
kiwigeo wrote:In answer to your question...if you or Demonx decided to engage in crowd funding and advertise same on the forum I would expect you to first consult with forum admin/mods...which I'm sure you would.
I only mention demonx as a hypothetical because I have a solid man-crush on him and he is a great contributor to this forum :D
Suggest you take this to the "Bromance" sub-forum :shock:
Martin

Wayde Christie

Post by Wayde Christie » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:52 pm

kiwigeo wrote:Suggest you take this to the "Bromance" sub-forum :shock:
Perhaps that can cover crowd-funding discussions too? :)

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:31 pm

A good luthier, does not need help to start a business, a good luthier dose not need to advertise.

There is such a demand for our services (the trade luthiery), that you will never be un-employed if you are good at what you do.

So when I see or here people asking for handouts to get started, I need to question """Why??""

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:07 pm

I might be old fashioned, but,

I Build a guitar , I sell a Guitar , I pour the money back into Jigs , tools and so on , I now have a pretty good setup, but it's mine fair and square, i'm not a tight arse I'll gladly share any of my equipment to support a budding luthier and regularly do.

My hobby, my choice, my responsibility to fund it, I spray student made guitars for thl local guitar making school( not much fun) to get some extra money to to fund my hobby , I do repairs , to fund my hobby .

I have no Intention of funding other people hobbies or business ventures, with so many disadvantaged people in the world, Kids who don't get three meals a day, and disabled people struggling to have the most basic needs met, any money I give away will go to them.

I'd be into crowd funding to buy a kid a wheel chair, not a stew mac binding jig.

Just my thoughts on the matter , good thing I did not see the OP.

Cheers,
Paul .