Bench chisels or Paring chisels?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Cloverfield
Kauri

Bench chisels or Paring chisels?

Post by Cloverfield » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:08 pm

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie here so please pardon my ignorance if this has been covered many times before.

I'm looking at going down the wonderful world of guitar making, I was initially inspired by the amazing work that Per Marklund has been posting over at the UMGF forum - have a look if you haven't seen his work, truly amazing. So I thought I'd attempt a 00-12 fret build but then decided it might be easier to attempt an electric first. So I thought I'd build something similar to the amazing Rickenbacker 850 Combo (below) as I was quite taken with its lines and then I got to reading about the 'German Carve' used on the tops and ended up on forums discussing carved topped PRS guitars - which I normally don't like. But then I found the PRS McCartny Korina Soapbar which is just beautiful and thought, lets start here!

:gui

So now I am looking at buying some quality hand tools for the job, I've got my eye on some Liogier rasps and a Veritas spokeshave, but I am stumped with chisels.

Finally: A question....

Given that I would like to build both acoustic and electric instruments eventually - should I buy a good set of paring chisels, as recommended by Cumpiano in his Guitarmaking Refernece book - or would a good set of bench chisels like the Ashley Iles Mk II be suitable for most tasks?

Thanks in advance!

~~~Simon

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Re: Bench chisels or Paring chisels?

Post by 56nortondomy » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:05 pm

Welcome to the forum, if you tell us your name we'll know what to call you. I just use bench chisels, i have cranked one to make it easier to shape braces, as long as they're sharp that's the main thing.
Wayne

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:51 pm

I have both but if I was asked to chose only one sort Id go for a set of decent benchies.
Martin

lauburu
Blackwood

Post by lauburu » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:38 am

Get both. You can never have too many chisels..... although my wife suspects I might be approaching the upper limit.
Miguel

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:04 am

lauburu wrote:Get both. You can never have too many chisels..... although my wife suspects I might be approaching the upper limit.
Miguel
:shock: :shock:
Is there such a thing Miguel?? :shock: :lol:

Welcome to the forum *insert name here*. Most of us here have build electrics at one stage or another and we have a few active electric makers on the forum (for whom it's their day job) also so I'm sure there will be plenty of sage advice available to you. Electrics are a good path into building (it's the path I followed) and can teach you some good skills and techniques. Not sure about the "wonderful world" of guitar making :wink: It can be awfully frustrating at times but rewarding. :)
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:51 am

Of the chisel work I do, I'd say that >80% of it is with a 18mm paring chisel. I have two of those. I have plenty of others as well, of course...

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:56 am

Plain bench chisels for me
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:15 am

Trevor Gore wrote:Of the chisel work I do, I'd say that >80% of it is with a 18mm paring chisel. I have two of those. I have plenty of others as well, of course...
Pretty much the same here......a couple of Robert Sorby's do most of the work in my shop. Same with planes....Ive got about 20 of the things but the only ones that get regular use are the Block planes and the Lie Nielsen smoother.
Martin

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:16 am

Hi there,
I do most of my chisel using a 3/4 inch marples paring chisel I bought second hand off eBay years ago and removed the rust myself. I could do all I need with this chisel however I have collected a 1/4, 1/2 and 1/8 inch paring chisel over the years and do use them on occasion. Also I have a 3/4 bench chisel that can be hit with a wooden mallet I made for some jobs.
Look out for older Marple's, Berg, Stanley chisels, keep them sharp look after them and they will last for ever.
Cheers
Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:18 am

Welcome to the forum. Where are you located? Your profile doesn't say.

First of all, I wouldn't say building electrics is the easiest way to start. Neither electrics or a acoustics are easier, they're just different from each other, so start with whichever you'd prefer to build.

As far as chisels to carve the tops... I would much rather use an angle grinder and a flap disc. Much easier and WAY faster. When you have a pile of tops to carve in a day, I don't look at my chisel collection, I look at what is the easiest and fastest way.

Also, I've got about four or so spoke shaves. All are in retirement as the flap disc puts them out of commission too.

The rasp on the other hand is where your money should be directed. A good rasp is essential. My main rasp I use both the flat and curved surfaces and I like them to have a taper down to a point at the end (think strewmac dragon rasp) so I have a variety of widths along the one rasp.

Chisels do get used, I just don't use them for carving. I probably only ever use a 1/4" marples paring for the odd job. Usually cleaning a nut ledge or something after paint or just scraping an edge or something, the rest of my chisel sets don't really get used for guitar making, other wood work yes, but don't really touch the guitars. The same chisel is what I'd use to cut in kerf for joining top/back to sides etc.

Not one chisel was used carving this top:
Attachments
image.jpg

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:13 am

In the above post I said Paring, that should have been 1/4" Marples bench.

Cloverfield
Kauri

Post by Cloverfield » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:12 pm

56nortondomy wrote:Welcome to the forum, if you tell us your name we'll know what to call you. I just use bench chisels, i have cranked one to make it easier to shape braces, as long as they're sharp that's the main thing.
Wayne
Hey Wayne, thanks for the welcome! :)

I assumed bench chisels would be fine for the most part, what kind of chisels do you have?

I am looking at the Ashley Isles Mk II, they seem like pretty good bang for the buck.
~~~Simon

Cloverfield
Kauri

Post by Cloverfield » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:14 pm

lauburu wrote:Get both. You can never have too many chisels..... although my wife suspects I might be approaching the upper limit.
Miguel
:lol: :cl

I think I will probably get both eventually - looking to start out with a good set of 5 or 6 bench chisels though.

It is hard to decide, everyone seems to have a varying opinion on any set/make - I imagine there are probably many good options at a certain price point.
~~~Simon

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:10 pm

Once you start, you will find you will customize chisels to do what you need them for, so to start with - anything is good.

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:24 pm

Cloverfield wrote:
56nortondomy wrote:Welcome to the forum, if you tell us your name we'll know what to call you. I just use bench chisels, i have cranked one to make it easier to shape braces, as long as they're sharp that's the main thing.
Wayne
Hey Wayne, thanks for the welcome! :)

I assumed bench chisels would be fine for the most part, what kind of chisels do you have?

I am looking at the Ashley Isles Mk II, they seem like pretty good bang for the buck.
All my benchies are Stubi.....but anything with decent metal in the blade. Old Titans are good value and will last for years.
Martin

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:01 pm

Most of my chisels are Stanley's, but i have a few of the cheaper type, ( not too cheap ) which come in handy for glue clean up.I can also grind them to suit specific jobs without butchering a good one.
Wayne

lauburu
Blackwood

Post by lauburu » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:13 am

I'm building up a collection of wooden handled E A Berg and Jerbolaget bench chisels. Magnificent steel and quite easy to find in very good condition. Obviously the guys that originally invested in these sixty odd years ago looked after them well.
Miguel

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:37 am

lauburu wrote:I'm building up a collection of wooden handled E A Berg and Jerbolaget bench chisels. Magnificent steel and quite easy to find in very good condition. Obviously the guys that originally invested in these sixty odd years ago looked after them well.
Miguel
A collection of Bergs is better than superannuation...
Martin