Carbatec Drum Sander

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

old_picker
Blackwood

Re: Carbatec Drum Sander

Post by old_picker » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:02 am

looks like the trick clip on the performax is on the lhs looking from infeed side.
the carbatecs is on rhs and largely obscured from view. i find a mirror quite helpful and if the paper breaks off at the clip i simply stick it to the drum with contact adhesive.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:06 am

old_picker wrote:looks like the trick clip on the performax is on the lhs looking from infeed side.
the carbatecs is on rhs and largely obscured from view. i find a mirror quite helpful and if the paper breaks off at the clip i simply stick it to the drum with contact adhesive.
Ray, its easiest to work the tool on the left side where there's more room to move your hands but the tool will work on both sides.....the anchoring clips on the Performax drums are the same both sides.
Martin

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:11 am

Keep in mind though not all machines are built the same, for example, one of my machines has two fastening clips. The other machine has one fastening clip and one tensioning clip that helps pull your paper tighter.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:30 am

demonx wrote:Keep in mind though not all machines are built the same, for example, one of my machines has two fastening clips. The other machine has one fastening clip and one tensioning clip that helps pull your paper tighter.
Looks like the Carbatec 400mm machine has an anchoring clip right side and tensioning clip right side. Who the hell designs these things...whoever it is should be condemned to a hell where they spend all day changing paper on Carbatec drum sanders.
Martin

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:42 am

My little one is the Carbatec 400mm, the updated one they released five/six years ago which was meant to solve some of the issues of the earlier ones. The clips might pull a bit, but nothing like the clips on my twin Leda 635mm. The clips (right side) on that actually help pull the paper tight, the Carbatec sander pretty much relies on you pushing it down in the slot as much as you can.

lauburu
Blackwood

Post by lauburu » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:04 am

Who the hell designs these things
When the designers of British cars were all made redundant, they had to go work somewhere. Obviously one or more ended up designing drum sanders. :(
Miguel

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:47 am

lauburu wrote:
When the designers of British cars were all made redundant, they had to go work somewhere. Obviously one or more ended up designing drum sanders. :(
Miguel
:lol: :lol: Sounds more like the engine designers got that job Miguel, you know, the ones that put the frost plugs right at the back of the engine where you had 25mm of room to remove the old one and put a new one in!
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:57 am

Nick wrote:
lauburu wrote:
Miguel
:lol: :lol: Sounds more like the engine designers got that job Miguel, you know, the ones that put the frost plugs right at the back of the engine where you had 25mm of room to remove the old one and put a new one in!
Yeah
Had to cut a hole in the firewall of my '56 Jaguar for that...

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:42 am

Many years ago I worked in a garage servicing mainly British cars....God I grew to hate most of those vehicles. We had to jack up an old Austin A40 and whack out the starter motor to get to the oil filter. An oil filter change out on mini involved whacking off the front grill....and most of the skin off the back of your hand in the process.

The Morris Marina...now there's a bucket of sh*t.
Martin

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:51 am

What about driving a mini in the rain, the water would go through the grill onto the dizzy, ( which was on the front of the motor ) the car would cut out and then you'd have to pull off the cap and spray it with wd40.
Wayne

lauburu
Blackwood

Post by lauburu » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:54 am

a mini in the rain, the water would go through the grill onto the dizzy,
Common solution in Brisbane was to cut a couple of notches in a plastic ice-cream container and insert between the grille and the dizzy. Even worked during monsoon season.
Sorry, but I think I steered this thread onto a bit of a tangent.
Miguel