Spray Gun Cabinet

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

simso
Blackwood

Spray Gun Cabinet

Post by simso » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:12 pm

Does anyone store there spray guns in a cabinet, if you do, do you have photos.

Trying to do some cleaning up, and am after some ideas.

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

Mat
Myrtle

Re: Spray Gun Cabinet

Post by Mat » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:57 pm

My father is a French polisher by trade and stores his guns on the side of tool cupboard hanging of some angled screws. He always keeps some retarder thinner in the pots, as that keeps the seals from drying out. I'm not sure if putting them in a cupboard would be wise with any fumes coming out of the breather holes. However, with 40 years in the game the appears to be working for him.

Now to take him up on those lessons he been telling me about.

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:32 pm

I have a metal case that they get stored in after I break them down and clean them. They get broken down and cleaned after every use.

I would not ever leave liquids sitting in the guns for longer than the time they are being used, since I'm mostly using 2k products that would be a quick way to turn a gun into bin filler.

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:09 pm

Thanks guys,

I am actually of the type that stores some thinners in his gun when not in use, my old man taught me that one and he was a spray painter for over 30 yrs. The reason is so you can keep using the spray gun day after day with minimal cleaning. But if you clean it completley and store it away, that works too.

The problem I am finding as we have a few spray guns (6), is that the ones that are not being used sit on the wall (magnetic wall clamps) and are getting covered in dust and stuff, so want to try and eliminate some of this coating, I grabbed a spray gun with a 1.4 tip for a big job and because I have not used that one for a while, I spent a while cleaning it.

I have to make a cabinet of some form, and rather than re-inventing something, was looking for ideas

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

auscab
Blackwood

Post by auscab » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:07 am

Hmmmm , You got me thinking here Steve .

I started with your question, which evolved and may have solved a problem I have had .

First I just hang guns on a hook , try and keep them clean and every now and then do a big clean up to get them working again when they are needed. That's for my cheapo guns which spray all sorts of stuff.

The good HVLP gets cleaned and stored after each use which may be once every three years.

Your question made me think of all the fridges that get thrown out and how they are metal , the doors seal with the magnetic strip, which is good, and there is the insulation which, for gun storage is of no benefit I can think of . These old fridges have been suggested for use as humidity cabinets before . Would say an old bar fridge do ? even re painted and dressed up to look more industrial ?

Which then led me to think of the use of a fridge for a flame proof cabinet, with a lock and a tray it would do the same thing possibly?

Rob

Kev3
Blackwood

Post by Kev3 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:57 am

auscab wrote:
Which then led me to think of the use of a fridge for a flame proof cabinet, with a lock and a tray it would do the same thing possibly?

Rob
I use an old fridge as a dry box (juggling desiccant to keep things in a happy zone) - but I'd be wary of using one as a flame proof cabinet - either for solvent storage or for guns - especially if solvent/thinners are left in them.
Firstly, although metal on the outside, most fridges I've come across are lined with a variety of plastics which may not hold up if solvent vapour is knocking around. Secondly with any kind of decent seal that vapour has nowhere to go ….. potential "boom" box there :wink:
Kevin

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:59 am

Nice idea rob, but yes you would have to vent the cabinet.

I spray on a daily basis

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:39 pm

Decided to turn one of the inside walls of the paint booth into a storage area for guns / lights / paint jigs and so forth.

The booth is far bigger than we need it to be, so just need to make some plastic or glass doors to section it off

Thanks for the ideas anyway

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,