Antique guitar

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

garryalb
Myrtle

Antique guitar

Post by garryalb » Fri May 29, 2015 11:55 am

Hi all, this beautiful guitar came in recently for repair. It is dated 1852 and has some penciled script that I cannot make out, possibly not English. The top seems to be spruce the back and sides are BRW laminated to maple. The neck may be Spanish cedar with an ebony fretboard and solid frets. Sadly the top and back have separated from the sides and it is missing a brace, bridge and many sections of lining and binding. It has very elaborate purfling, 12 strips on the front face plus marquetry and binding, the back and sides are more simple but also have the marquetry made up in a different way, the back also has a brass purling strip.
The customer would like to have the guitar repaired. I have built more than 100 guitars, at least 60 with binding and been repairing full time since the early 90's but this job is outside my skill set. I am not experienced with hide glue or French polish so I will be passing on this repair.
The customer and I would be interested in any comments the ANZLF members might make. Perhaps some clues on identifying the maker, country of origin etc. and if you think repairing this guitar is the right thing to do. If anyone is interested or knows someone able to do the repair please let me know.
Thanks for you input,
Garry.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

sleake
Myrtle

Re: Antique guitar

Post by sleake » Fri May 29, 2015 12:12 pm

garryalb wrote:. The top seems to be spruce the back and sides are BRW laminated to maple.
Guitar made from flatsawn plywood???? Surely only good for firewood, or hang it up outside your shop for a sign????

Why would you need hide glue for that? :lol:

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri May 29, 2015 12:18 pm

sleake wrote:
garryalb wrote:. The top seems to be spruce the back and sides are BRW laminated to maple.
Guitar made from flatsawn plywood???? Surely only good for firewood, or hang it up outside your shop for a sign????

Why would you need hide glue for that? :lol:
It's BRW laminated onto maple...not the same as plywood which generally has more than two layers. Alot of the old classical builders like Torres laminated high grade woods like BRW onto cheaper stock to make the BRW go further. Laminating backs and sides makes alot of sense for many reasons.....ie it makes for a stiffer side and bending up thin laminates is easier than bending a one piece side.

If the guitar is from the 1800s then it will have most likely been glued with hide glue...makes sense to do the repairs with same.
Martin

sleake
Myrtle

Post by sleake » Fri May 29, 2015 12:28 pm

Please don't take that seriously......... of course this guitar should get the treatment it deserves.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri May 29, 2015 12:51 pm

Sorry...the humour was a bit too subtle :(
Martin

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Fri May 29, 2015 1:08 pm

As far as the identity, I'd be asking over at the Delcamp forum. http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/
IMHO it should be repaired but not restored
I'd be happy to take it on for a hide glue and French polish repair

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri May 29, 2015 1:30 pm

The question has to be asked....has it ever had steel strings fitted? Whenever I see a classical with this sort of damage 9 times out of 10 someone has done the steel string thing.
Martin

garryalb
Myrtle

Post by garryalb » Fri May 29, 2015 3:17 pm

There is no evidence of it having steel strings fitted but I don't have the bridge or nut. There was never much holding it together after the rebates for binding / purfling had been cut. Thanks Jeff, I will post a photo on the classical site and let the customer know of your interest.

Garry.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri May 29, 2015 6:56 pm

The brass purfling strip strikes me as very strange.....in fact the whole instrument I find intriguing.
Martin