Edge Sander Opinions

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Allen
Blackwood

Edge Sander Opinions

Post by Allen » Mon May 18, 2015 3:47 pm

I'm looking to spend some money and thinking of upgrading to a larger edge sander. Thinking of the Jet Oscillating one from Carbatec.

Anyone have one? Opinions one way or the other on it. Or recommendations for something else.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Edge Sander Opinions

Post by kiwigeo » Mon May 18, 2015 3:51 pm

Someone should tell Carbatec the close up pics on their listing are of a Performax drum sander not the edge sander in the main pic.

Allen...are you on a $20,000 post budget spending spree???? Dont forget the large screen TV and surround sound system for the workshop :mrgreen:
Martin

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon May 18, 2015 5:34 pm

Don't watch much TV and can't hear the music much over all the work going on. But I do love new machinery.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Mon May 18, 2015 5:41 pm

Have a chat to Rob (auscab) if you were thinking of going down the used machine path (he's always got an ear to the ground for all things cool and old). Guess it depends if you want it to weigh close to a tonne :lol: .

Stu

sleake
Myrtle

Post by sleake » Mon May 18, 2015 6:08 pm

Hi alan.

We have one at work - high school, that kevin 07 bought us a few years ago. Great machine, so much grunt, only slight issue is the gap of 5 mm or so between belt and work table though I'm sure in can be adjusted, low on the to do list in the workshop, havnt looked at it. Also dust collection is not 100% but that is par for the course.

Sure is nice to sand a bit of wood a few feet long!!! It eats it up

Steve.

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Mon May 18, 2015 10:11 pm

I upgraded to one of those "big boy" sanders from the smaller version and it's a great investment. It's one of machines closest to my workbench as it gets used daily. Very very handy.

Mine is Hafco version, pretty much the same thing but a couple hundred bucks cheaper.

Ordered mine through a local store. You'll probably want a hand to lift it too as they have a big of weight to them.

http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/L112

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Mon May 18, 2015 10:19 pm

sleake wrote:Hi alan.

Great machine, so much grunt, only slight issue is the gap of 5 mm or so between belt and work table though I'm sure in can be adjusted, low on the to do list in the workshop, havnt looked at it.
Steve.
There's adjustment to lift the table up. Takes a few seconds. Once you've worn the belt out at the bottom, lift the table up for a new lease on life.

sleake
Myrtle

Post by sleake » Tue May 19, 2015 10:14 am

I had a quick poke around this morning, and the clearance remained regardless of table height. Perhaps it is not set at the full 90 degrees, I had a class at the time and the machine received maby 30% of my attention. Ill have another look eventually.

It doesn't affect its use in the school - would not be happy if I caught a kid sanding a 10 mm strip on it, with or without the gap. Don't want the cleanup or paperwork on a three horsepower manicure! Me on the other hand ...... like I tell my kids - "Do as I say, not as I do" :roll:

Really nice toy though!

sleake
Myrtle

Post by sleake » Tue May 19, 2015 10:18 am

Also - This might sound strange but I find the oscillating sound and view of the belt to be really hypnotising when it is the only sound in the workshop. I find it really easy to zone out on longer jobs/repetitive stuff and really have to pull myself into focus or swap jobs after a few minutes on it.

Could be because I'm a weirdo though?

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue May 19, 2015 10:29 am

sleake wrote:Also - This might sound strange but I find the oscillating sound and view of the belt to be really hypnotising when it is the only sound in the workshop. I find it really easy to zone out on longer jobs/repetitive stuff and really have to pull myself into focus or swap jobs after a few minutes on it.

Could be because I'm a weirdo though?
Just don't fall onto the belt... :shock:
Martin

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Tue May 19, 2015 10:30 am

Height adjustment of table, there is one of these either side:

If the other brands don't have this, I suggest you shop around for one that does.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (66.42 KiB) Viewed 15169 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (71.36 KiB) Viewed 15169 times

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Tue May 19, 2015 6:43 pm

What's the apprentice's name Allen?
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Tue May 19, 2015 8:25 pm

Sleake - Like many tools, I'd address this issue by using a 'sub/false table base' (waste board) with near zero clearance for smaller or more delicate work. The mitre track allows you to lock one in place. Note, not 'zero' clearance given you need somewhere for the dust to go. But the same problem can be said for bandsaw table inserts, tablesaw inserts and things like thickness sanders, where sleds are often required for sanding to the thicknesses we require. The 'safety' margins and tolerances provided on machines is often larger than we'd like, hence the customised jigs or fittings required.

Allan S - Not the same machine. Yes, very similar base machine, possibly even by the same manufacturer, but significantly, the Jet machine is 'oscillating' which accounts for a fair chunk of those extra dollars, while I'm sure the name accounts for the rest! The oscillating feature is to overcome exactly that which you have shown occurs on your belts - though you've found another way to overcome/work around that. I'm not sure if there are any other 'upgraded' options the Jet machine adds on from the base model, but this is often how it works in the industry. Things aren't necessarily as simple as first meets the eye. Looking at the pics, the Jet has a cabinet base that would allow belt storage, whatever that is worth and if the figures are to be believed, there is an extra 30kg in there somewhere!

Allen M - I've used the older incarnations of these machines years ago so can't speak of current models, but there were no real concerns back then. Hard to stall and does pretty much what you'd expect it to in a simple manner, with little bells or whistles. Your own jigs will perfect any specific work you have planned for it. These machines have been around for a long time without much change over that period, which suggests there was never much change needed. Oscillating feature is useful for prolonging the life of your belt and doing what is intended - sanding, not burning as when you sand in the one spot, it can quickly overheat. Likewise, graphite slip cloth is another good feature to look for - assisting the belt to slip, rather than grab at the backing plate. Fifteen years ago, only the odd machine had this and if you wanted it, you'd buy it by the meter yourself and contact adhesive it on. Anyway, the Jet has all this standard as do many machines nowadays.

Never had any experience with machines outside of these so can't compare for you.

Jeremy.

soulman
Blackwood

Post by soulman » Tue May 19, 2015 9:32 pm

We have this one at school from Gregories. Does everything you need. Motor and belt assembly tilt if you need an angle. The left hand end has an adjustable height table. You can swing the guard out of the way and use it like a bobbin sander. The dial wheel on the front is for adjusting table up and down.

Have fun shopping.

Ross
Attachments
20150519_120303-1.jpg
20150519_120250.jpg
20150519_120232.jpg

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed May 20, 2015 5:15 am

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm quite familiar with the "Big Boy" sander and all the other branded versions of that model. It was the oscillating option of the Jet and any of the little things you just don't know about until you've had access to one for a bit that I'm interested in.

The larger machine from Gregories I had looked at, but I already have a heavy duty floor model bobbin sander, so this model is a bit redundant.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Wed May 20, 2015 9:22 am

Just my 2c and something to think about, I prefer that mine does not oscillate

They're a pretty powerful sander to begin with, without adding a moving belt to the equation. If you only ever used it against the shelf, then yes, the occilation would be useful, however I use it freehand quite often, possibly more so than against the shelf, now holding small pieces with my fingers close to the belt I'd personally prefer it not to oscillate, however, each person will have a different opinion on this based on their own individual uses for the machine.