Mini cyclone

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dominic
Blackwood

Mini cyclone

Post by Dominic » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:21 pm

Hey, a while ago I posted about dust problems. Well I installed ducting to all my machines and moved the extractor out of the workshop. But there was still fine dust everwhere and my shopvac just helped spread the finest.

But today the mini-cyclone from Clear vue arrived and in a couple of hours I had added it to my shop-vac and it works a treat. There is a paper filter inside the grey PVC tube but there was hardly anything in there after going round the whole shop.

You know the first millisecond after you start sucking up dust with a new bag and clean filter and you think this thing is really sucking only to be disappointed a fraction of a second later after the bag starts clogging up? Well with this thing on it sucks like that first millisecond all the time. I went round the whole workshop and the air afterwards was clear. Very cool and it is on special at the moment. Cost me $138AUS including postage. Considering the shopvac is around the same you get a powerful cyclone dust extractor for around $300. Not bad.

If anyone is interested in how I put this together let me know. I think it came out great for a proto-type and does not take up much more room.
Cheers
Dom

ImageImage
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:10 pm

Ok where did you get it, and How did you put it together
I have the same model shop vac
regards
Jeff

matthew
Blackwood

Re: Mini cyclone

Post by matthew » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:34 pm

Dominic wrote: If anyone is interested in how I put this together let me know.
Nah. Not interested at all. I love my dust. Who cares about saving money? if I need a cyclone I'll be happy to pay through the nose ....

boom boom ... sniff

of course we wanna know!

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:47 pm

Yeh, dust. I read in a woodworking mag the other day about the risks of getting nose cancer from wood dust. And the treatment is pretty shocking.

You get the cyclones from http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/. There are lots of threads on the OLF about them. They are now sponsors at the OLF. Also read the Bill Pentz web site.

I looked at how others had done it and didn't like them because they seemed so big so designed this way. I'll take some more pics to show how I did it.
Dom

Hippety Hop
Blackwood

Post by Hippety Hop » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:34 pm

This looks a little more masculine.

Terry Stowell
Gidgee

redesign that thing!

Post by Terry Stowell » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:56 am

I gotta tell you, THAT is the strangest looking thing in the shop for sure. I have to laugh because everyone who has one of these homely looking things raves about it's efficiency and effectiveness. Why not make it less tippy and less like a 5th grade science project? :roll:

Please don't take this personally, I'm JUST KIDDING (it could use a facelift though :wink: )

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:29 pm

I'm with Terry,

Looks like a bldi great penis enlarger :shock:

Cheers Martin

Obligatory OHS warning for very stupid people: The contents of this post are not to be taken seriously and certainly not to be treated as a reccomended course of action...ie Dont be a complete idiot and go and stick your old fella' in one of these machines.

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:28 pm

Hippity hop, luckily i do not feel particularly challenged in the gender stakes by my new vac. But gee, if anyone feels slightly less than a man by all means go out and buy the biggest machine you can find. By the way, have you seen Hesh's pink and purple one in the other thread :wink:

Terry, the point of putting the cyclone on top is so it does not take up more room than a standard shop-vac. It is pretty stable.

Talking of face lifts, if you get dust in you rnose it can give you cancer. The treatment? often remove the nose and half the face including, many times, an eye. Now that would loook like a 5th year science project.
Dom

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:33 pm

kiwigeo wrote:I'm with Terry,

Looks like a bldi great penis enlarger :shock:

Cheers Martin

Obligatory OHS warning for very stupid people: The contents of this post are not to be taken seriously and certainly not to be treated as a reccomended course of action...ie Dont be a complete idiot and go and stick your old fella' in one of these machines.
Bah! Wouldn't fit.

Cheers

Kim

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:22 pm

:lmao

Terry Stowell
Gidgee

Point taken!

Post by Terry Stowell » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:54 pm

Dom,
Point well taken. I heard these things are one step short of miraculous. And the picture you paint of nose cancer, well that's all I need to be scared straight. Maybe if the whole contraption were painted one color....

I'm pretty fussy about dust, and a huge saftey nut. I try not to make a lot of dust if I can't capture it. I wear a particulate respirator, then HEPA vacuum any loose dust I make on the bench. I embarass people with the degree I take in not making dust in my basement shop (I have to live upstairs, as do my wife and kids)

So, in short, please accept my silly comments. I like aesthitics of things. I am a painting contractor by day. And a hobby luthier. (Explains a lot eh?)

Perhaps a nice coat of satin black paint on the whole thing :lol:

WaddyT
Blackwood

Post by WaddyT » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:21 pm

Lillian wrote::lmao
Perfect! :D
Waddy

Build Albums 12 done - 1 in process

Clip for #1 Barrios' "Una Limosna por el Amor de Dios" - Not me playing

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:38 pm

Geez Terry, give me a break :D , it is still in the prototype phase2 stage built from bits I had lying around. When I finish tweaking it I will give all the bits a spray and I'll post some more pics of how I got to go together. I'm still working out a few bugs but it is close.

But the clear bit is cool because you can see the dust cyclone effect and you can tell if something is wrong (blocked) because the cyclone stops. You will just have to live with the fact that my shopvac has a clear bit. Please don't lose any sleep over it. :wink:

You are probably going the right path in not making dust in the first place. But I have tonnes of machines and being able to clean up effectively afterwards is next best I suppose. The next thing to do is hook up my big dust extractor with a cyclone.

Cheers
Dom