hhg

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

rocket
Blackwood

hhg

Post by rocket » Fri May 15, 2015 7:07 pm

Yeah i know!! another dumb HHG question!!
I'm not proud of this but, i decided to start using HHG in my builds more , and especially gluing the backs so if need be i can remove in the future if any of my builds come back, So,, i'm on a commission and the back went on with HHG but i wasn't entirely happy with the orientation, basically i did a shit job of it, ummed and arred over it and decided to take the back off and start over, proud of this bit,,,, hot knives and some patience back is off, now i've cleaned up all the messy lumpy crud and all is good to go again, my question is do i have to make any allowance for any HHG residue when i apply fresh HHG to the joint? will the fresh stuff automatically reheat and bond to any reside that is remaining in the joint?
Any wisdom and experience imparted on this matter will be gratefully received :) :) :)
Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: hhg

Post by kiwigeo » Fri May 15, 2015 7:32 pm

rocket wrote:Yeah i know!! another dumb HHG question!!
I'm not proud of this but, i decided to start using HHG in my builds more , and especially gluing the backs so if need be i can remove in the future if any of my builds come back, So,, i'm on a commission and the back went on with HHG but i wasn't entirely happy with the orientation, basically i did a shit job of it, ummed and arred over it and decided to take the back off and start over, proud of this bit,,,, hot knives and some patience back is off, now i've cleaned up all the messy lumpy crud and all is good to go again, my question is do i have to make any allowance for any HHG residue when i apply fresh HHG to the joint? will the fresh stuff automatically reheat and bond to any reside that is remaining in the joint?
Any wisdom and experience imparted on this matter will be gratefully received :) :) :)
Rod.
Rod,

To get a back off that's been fixed with HHG I run over the edge of the back with a photographer's sealing iron. Usually the back will just lift off with a little pressure.
Regluing an old HHG joint.....I usually give the surfaces a bit of a sand to get the mating surfaces reasonably level and then just slap some new glue on. Its probably not that necessary as in the case of a back or top glue up job I run the sealing iron around and then re-clamp to ensure a good bond.
Martin

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Fri May 15, 2015 7:36 pm

Thanks Martin, can you tell me what a photographers sealing iron is?
Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Fri May 15, 2015 7:37 pm

Lumps remove as you have done . don't worry about thin residue.
A hot room is your friend for this exercise.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri May 15, 2015 9:34 pm

rocket wrote:Thanks Martin, can you tell me what a photographers sealing iron is?
Rod.
This is pretty much the iron Ive got but a 240v version:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Coverite-21 ... 1406599496
Martin

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Fri May 15, 2015 10:35 pm

I rough flatten, re-apply, and then clamp up, any areas that look warped, I put a heat gun over

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html