weldon 16

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

rocket
Blackwood

weldon 16

Post by rocket » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:58 pm

Quick question, i haven't bought weldon 16 for quite a while but last time i did it was in a red tube, just saw some on Ebay in a blue tube does anybody know if they've just changed the colour of the tube or is there another product?? :? :? :?
Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Re: weldon 16

Post by 56nortondomy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:22 pm

I think there is some difference Rod. I've used the blue tube and it's been ok. Someone else should know for sure.
Wayne

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:43 am

I've always used the Red too Rod but as far as I can see, the only difference between the two is, weirdly, that the red is marketed as a IPS/Weld On product whereas the blue (even though it's made by the same manufacturer) is marketed under the label 'Scigrip'
Image Image

Also, I notice the red is labeled as fast curing and the blue is labeled as fast set, whether that's the major point of difference between the two, I'm not sure. They're both Acrylic glues so I'm sure it should be OK to use the Blue if Red is not available.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Jehu
Sassafras

Post by Jehu » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:08 pm

I used the blue on my recently completed archtop and it worked great. (I bound everything -- body, f holes, fingerboard, headstock.) But I've only built one guitar, so I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:19 pm

Jehu wrote: But I've only built one guitar, so I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about.
Don't be hard on yourself....you know alot more than someone who has never built a guitar :)
Martin

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:09 pm

I've got a couple of red tubes on the way.
Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:16 pm

While we're on this post, does weldon have a shelf life. The tube i have is about 12 months old, keep it or throw it?
Wayne

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:58 am

56nortondomy wrote:While we're on this post, does weldon have a shelf life. The tube i have is about 12 months old, keep it or throw it?
Wayne
As long as it's been tightly capped and the viscosity is the same as when you first bought it I'd say it was good to go Wayne. The 'active ingredients' are solvents (Dichloromethane, Acetone, Methylethylketone, plus a couple more, which have an infinite shelf life when kept in their liquid state) so if the viscosity is the same, then the solvents are still there in their correct ratios. If it's a bit treacley then that's a sign that the solvents have been evaporating off and it's on it's way out & I'd file it in the bin :wink:
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:47 am

Thanks Nick, I haven't opened it in a while, so i'll check it out and see what it's like.
Wayne

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:25 am

56nortondomy wrote:While we're on this post, does weldon have a shelf life. The tube i have is about 12 months old, keep it or throw it?
Wayne
I buy small tubes of weldon as it seems to harden up before I get through a tube.

In saying that, most binding that I do is timber, so I'm not using it every day like I am other glues.

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:49 pm

Do not know if its applicable, but I do not like the blue weld-on, even though companies like stewmac promote its use etc, have had many many failures with that product

I use green duco cement, it actually melts into the plastic and has strength to grip onto wood, one tube will do a couple of binding jobs, throw that tube away and grab another one out, cheap stuff as well

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html