Source for Tru Oil in the Canberra region?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

dotbot
Kauri

Source for Tru Oil in the Canberra region?

Post by dotbot » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:33 am

I'm ready to put a finish on the uke I recently built.

On advice from a forum member, and things I've read here, I'd like to try Tru Oil. I live in Canberra and I'm having trouble finding it, though. I've phoned the gun shops in the ACT and they said "oh, great product but we don't carry it". Too flammable. I also called a gun shop just over the border in Queanbeyan, NSW and he said he doesn't carry it but might order some in. There are a couple of larger gun suppliers (Western and Noosa) that sell it online and will ship it, but then the shipping is about the same cost as the little bottle. I've also asked at Bunnings and Magnet Mart but they didn't know what I was talking about.

Anyone from around here have a source? If not, I'll report back if the gun shop in Queanbeyan comes through.

Thanks!

Aaron

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Re: Source for Tru Oil in the Canberra region?

Post by needsmorecowbel » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:53 am

I got mine through the post from Western Firearms. Shipping was only a couple of dollars more expensive...

There was a good suggestion ages ago on the forum to chuck a few clear marbles into the bottle every time you use a bit so the air is pushed out of the bottle and thus the bottle lasts you longer. I've only ever bought the small bottles and they are about 10-15 dollars per bottle from memory.

Good Luck

Stu

hooked
Kauri

Post by hooked » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:22 am

Aaron,

Unfortunately the Tru Oil falls in to the same category as tuners, fretwire, tonewood, fretboards etc etc. All items not available from the local hardware store. It is a matter of juggling the most cost efficient way of having items posted.

Birchwood Casey, the makers of Tru Oil, have an online video on usage and storage once the bottle is opened.

Once opened, my preference is to wipe the opening of the bottle and inside the lid thoroughly with Shellite before closing and storing the bottle inverted.
That said, you wont get a great shelf life out of a bottle. :(

Cheers

Daryl

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:31 am

Try your Local Firearms supplier, as we are not in the USA that may take some searching , but possibly your best bet if you want some in a hurry.

Cheers,
Paul .

kpcart
Myrtle

Post by kpcart » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:50 pm

is Tru Oil a type of oil varnish that does not seep into the wood? i am interested in something like this. i see it is on ebay if you cant find it. interesting how it is made for gunstocks on rifles.

dotbot
Kauri

Post by dotbot » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:31 am

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback so far.
kpcart wrote:is Tru Oil a type of oil varnish that does not seep into the wood? i am interested in something like this. i see it is on ebay if you cant find it. interesting how it is made for gunstocks on rifles.
Hi kpcart. You can find some discussion of what it is and how it is used in this forum but I also found the discussion of it here and here to be enlightening.

For the curious, the manufacturer's safety data sheet tells what it is made out of, up to a point, and in what proportions.

Cheers,
Aaron

kpcart
Myrtle

Post by kpcart » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:15 pm

dotbot wrote:Thanks, everyone, for the feedback so far.
kpcart wrote:is Tru Oil a type of oil varnish that does not seep into the wood? i am interested in something like this. i see it is on ebay if you cant find it. interesting how it is made for gunstocks on rifles.
Hi kpcart. You can find some discussion of what it is and how it is used in this forum but I also found the discussion of it here and here to be enlightening.

For the curious, the manufacturer's safety data sheet tells what it is made out of, up to a point, and in what proportions.

Cheers,
Aaron
thankyou, good info.

hooked
Kauri

Post by hooked » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:15 am

kpcart,

No Tru Oil is not really an oil as such. It is a polymer finish and cures. It is similar to apply than a wipe on poly but I think easier to use. I just finished a uke yesterday with Tru Oil...see pic.

Cheers

Daryl
Attachments
P1040078.jpg
P1040078.jpg (79.01 KiB) Viewed 8901 times
P1040077.jpg
P1040077.jpg (81.65 KiB) Viewed 8901 times