I have a problem with WoodRat

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

willcall
Blackwood

I have a problem with WoodRat

Post by willcall » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:10 am

Well, it's a good problem at least.
I good while ago now I purchased a guitar kit off Woodrat as I couldn't go past it's fine looks.
Fast forward to now and It sadly sits in my shed waiting for some love and completion.
I just pulled it out (the kit that is) to have another lust over it.

My problem is that it's too nice to sell but I don't have the time to complete it.

What I was thinking was perhaps I could send it to someone on the forum (Woodrat comes to mind) to have it completed.

Another thought I had which tickles my fancy is having it turned into a Dobro.
I'm a lefty so anything cool in lefty is hard to find.
For a nice Dobro I'm looking at $2,000+ for a used one or $4,000+ for a brand new one such as BEARD makes.
Just thinking this one could be converted for not too much and it would be 100% aussie made

What does everyone think?
Attachments
a32.jpg
Issue with warping???
a29.jpg
a27.jpg
a22.jpg
a18.jpg
a17.jpg

Jeremy D
Admin

Re: I have a problem with WoodRat

Post by Jeremy D » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:12 pm

Your half way there. I say sit it aside and get to it when you can. It's looking good!
Jeremy D

willcall
Blackwood

Post by willcall » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:20 pm

Jeremy D wrote:Your half way there. I say sit it aside and get to it when you can. It's looking good!
It is looking good and Woodrat did 100% of the work!

I am tempted to keep it for the long haul and hopefully get to it some day soon. Or even go along to a building class and finish it off there.

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:13 pm

willcall wrote:
Jeremy D wrote:Your half way there. I say sit it aside and get to it when you can. It's looking good!

I am tempted to keep it for the long haul and hopefully get to it some day soon. Or even go along to a building class and finish it off there.
I am no expert but you are welcome to come around if you need a hand. I have a bending blanket etc, looks like all you would need to do is knock up a bending form and a mold and you are good to go. I also have a drum sander, bandsaw etc. if you need.
Jeremy D

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:49 pm

It'd be difficult (but not insurmountable) to turn it into a Dobro at this stage.

The back braces would need to come off because the back of a dobro is flat, the soundhole is in the wrong spot on the top and the braces would need to come if it as well.

I'd think it'd be easier to buy a new back and side set.

I just bought the hardware from Paul Beard to build some Dobros and it came to around $600 per guitar landed without machine heads (so they're not a cheap instrument to build once you factor in time and all materials)

I'd be inclined to keep it as is and build with it "eventually".

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

willcall
Blackwood

Post by willcall » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:38 am

Bob Connor wrote:It'd be difficult (but not insurmountable) to turn it into a Dobro at this stage.

The back braces would need to come off because the back of a dobro is flat, the soundhole is in the wrong spot on the top and the braces would need to come if it as well.

I'd think it'd be easier to buy a new back and side set.

I just bought the hardware from Paul Beard to build some Dobros and it came to around $600 per guitar landed without machine heads (so they're not a cheap instrument to build once you factor in time and all materials)

I'd be inclined to keep it as is and build with it "eventually".

Regards

Thanks Bob,
Converting to a Dobro sounds like the wrong thing to do given the amount of work that would have to be undone.

Better off starting again.

Paul Beard tinware is the way to go!
I noticed you can buy his Asian built Dobro's for around $850US. The good thing about them is that all the tinware is the same USA made stuff found on his US models.

willcall
Blackwood

Post by willcall » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:07 am

Jeremy D wrote:
willcall wrote:

I am no expert but you are welcome to come around if you need a hand. I have a bending blanket etc, looks like all you would need to do is knock up a bending form and a mold and you are good to go. I also have a drum sander, bandsaw etc. if you need.

Thanks for your generous offer Jeremy,
I will keep that in mind and hopefully I will be able to complete the build over summer.