Hello and humidity woes

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

sleake
Myrtle

Hello and humidity woes

Post by sleake » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:12 pm

Hi all.

Been wasting a bit too much time on here instead of working, so thought I would say G Day.

Built a little WRC parlor a 10 years ago for a school project, that turned out so well everyone (mostly me) was shocked!

Having moved into a new place with a little shed down here in Wollongong the bug has bitten again, and I have a weis, mando and a uke in various stages of progress (disrepair???).

However, east coast of OZ is one humid place, and I am wondering what my options are. At the moment I am building the important steps (braces etc) at my inlaws place in westernish NSW where it is nice and dry, but it is also 3 hours from me - so not exactly a way to unwind after work.

What options do I have to build here? Dehumidifier is out of the question - no chance of dropping the rH in the shed, and no space for a little dry room.

My stuff is not going to be sold, and I wont be going to live out in broken hill any time soon - so if a guitar is built in the humidity it will live in (fairly high) will it survive?

I made my little parlor with no idea about rH, and with a flat top and back - and 10 years on it is going strong! So should I just build, play dumb and learn how to repair popped braces down the track?

What do you weekend warriors do?

Thanks all, Steve.

Allen
Blackwood

Re: Hello and humidity woes

Post by Allen » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:51 am

You can build a dry box as quite a few on the forum have. A sealed box with some type of low power heat source such as a light bulb. I know one fellow that uses an old refrigerator. You should be able to do a search on the forum and get some ideas.

Keep parts in the box when not working on them. Bring out and work quickly and to a plan, then return afterwards.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:51 am

Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:26 pm

A small dry box as Allan has mentioned is certainly one option.

Aside from that, I know a few hobby luthiers that try to work around the conditions at hand - ie; wait to do the more critical cross grain glue jobs when the humidity is naturally lower and approximates 40-45%. Ideally, you'd want at least a string of days like that though so your timber can adjust to the conditions first. Also, best to be prepared and have practiced some dry runs so you can make the most of it. You'd really want to close any boxes as quickly as possible unless you can control conditions thereafter.

I'd suggest you get yourself at least one good hygrometer and use it to try and identify when the conditions are better and potentially, where they are better. You may find a room indoors that is naturally (or un-naturally such as air-conditioned) more buffered in its conditions. Glue jobs can be kept to a small area such as a desk and can be kept clean - it's not like you'd be bringing the whole workshop inside.

I doubt anyone here will suggest it does not matter period, at least with acoustic construction. The reality is, you may get lucky as you have thus far with the parlour, but building at high humidity will certainly increase chances of cracks or other issues when the humidity drops significantly.

Jeremy.

sleake
Myrtle

Post by sleake » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:57 pm

Thanks everyone.

I have two weeks of shed time out west starting tomorrow, should be enough time to get them all sorted, long term could be necks in the gong, top and backs out west.

I like the idea of the hot box, fridge could work too, though it might keep my beer just a bit warm :gui

Thanks again, Steve

luke_lee
Sassafras

Post by luke_lee » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:55 pm

Hi Steve,
I live in Wollongong also, I use a sealed box to store the parts pre glue-up and a dehumidifier in a small room when gluing.
I think we may have met at a party on Australia Day, if you need anything or just want to catch up and talk guitars send me a PM.
Luke.