Woodcarver vs. Lancelot

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Jehu
Sassafras

Woodcarver vs. Lancelot

Post by Jehu » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:07 am

Hey folks,

I'm looking at getting an angle grinder attachment for roughing out arches. Do any of you happen to know how the Arbortech Woodcarver and King Arthur Lancelot compare? Is there any consensus on which would be better for this sort of job?

Woodcarver: http://www.carbatec.co.nz/arbortech-woo ... o-4_c13080
Lancelot: http://www.timberlywoodturning.co.nz/pr ... 47822.html

Allen
Blackwood

Re: Woodcarver vs. Lancelot

Post by Allen » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:34 am

I don't have first hand knowledge of the products, but do know that they use the Arbortech unit for carving English Style rocking horses at The Cairns Woodworkers Guild. From what I've seen it does a good job in timbers from Pine through to New Guinea Rosewood.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:37 am

I only have the Lancelot. It works great and is easy to sharpen (like a chainsaw). On the other hand it looks like the Arbortech disk would be foolproof to mount on the grinder (you can make mistakes mounting the Lancelot,and it surely takes a few seconds more).
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

curly
Blackwood

Post by curly » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:23 am

In a previous life ( pre kids ) I used to teach wood sculpture ( among other things ) . Both the mini and industrial arbor tech were standard roughing out tools . They are wonderful bits of gear for rapid stock removal . As its a free cutter though it's as easy as anything to overshoot your mark .
It barely seems worth mentioning as its so obvious but these are wickedly dangerous bits of gear . Id tell my students to count their fingers every time they put it down . The industrial model has replaceable carbide cutters that are retained with a small machine screw . These need to be undone and re tightened often as the use of the disc can cause the bolts to overtighten and ultimately shear . A fella I know well had this happen . Thankfully he was wearing his beer safety belt . The carbide cutter lodged 2 inches deep into his belly fat . Doc just fished it out !
Pete

Jehu
Sassafras

Post by Jehu » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:49 am

Thanks, guys. Sounds like both would be good options, so I'll price things out and make a judgment call.

And curly -- rest assured that I will be approaching anything like this with a healthy dose of terror!!

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:56 am

Just go to Total Tools or any similar hardware shop and buy a pack of 40grit flap discs. You'll still want to wear safety glasses and a dust mask, but they're cheap, much safer and they remove wood FAST!

The better quality ones are nearly twice the price of the elcheapos, but they last longer = value for money, I think I'm using Makita branded ones at the moment.

When building by hand I use these for neck stock removal and carve top removal, so it'd be ideal for the arch top. I really don't know why I built for so many years without trying them as they really make quick work of the wood removal chore. At first it'll feel a bit clumsy but once you get the hang of it you'll be able to carve pretty close to how you want things.

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:00 am

demonx wrote:When building by hand I use these for [...]
Well, when you use these you don't build by hand! :twisted: :lol: :wink:
Markus

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:52 pm

charangohabsburg wrote:
demonx wrote:When building by hand I use these for [...]
Well, when you use these you don't build by hand! :twisted: :lol: :wink:
So you're one of these people that says if you've used a router the guitar is also not handmade? If so I'd like to know how many guitars on this forum are "handmade"?

It is my understanding the distinction is that if the power tool is controlled by hand, then it is still a handmade instrument, as opposed to a computer numerically controlled tool.

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:06 pm

I guess you missed a smiley or two. :?
Markus

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:29 pm

Twas Swiss humour.....handmade and held together with bits of cheese. :wink: :D

How do the flapper wheels get on for Dust/saw dust Allan? I would think the woodcarver style instrument wouldn't require as much extraction.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:09 pm

Nick wrote:Twas Swiss humour.....handmade and held together with bits of cheese. :wink: :D

How do the flapper wheels get on for Dust/saw dust Allan? I would think the woodcarver style instrument wouldn't require as much extraction.
Just do it outside!

There is a fair amount of dust, which is why I suggested the dust mask.

I also suggest trying the flap disc first, as they are only a few bucks each as opposed to the eighty bucks for the other, as I do believe once you've used the flap disc you won't spend the eighty bucks.

Kev3
Blackwood

Post by Kev3 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:09 pm

Nick wrote: How do the flapper wheels get on for Dust/saw dust Allan? I would think the woodcarver style instrument wouldn't require as much extraction.
The Arbortech doesn't create sawdust- just high velocity wood chips !
Full protective clothing a must, the debris from a chainsaw blade on an angle grinder really stings :D
Kevin

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Post by peter.coombe » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:00 pm

This is the one I use -

http://www.carbatec.com.au/arbortech-turbo-plane_c22170

Is relatively new and is smoothest by far.

Peter
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com

Jehu
Sassafras

Post by Jehu » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:54 am

Thanks again, folks. I just came into possession of a grinder and probably got a bit overexcited. I should probably give the regular flap discs a go before making any larger investments, but good to know that the attachments are useful.

Peter, that's an interesting option that I hadn't come across. And slightly less terrifying than having a small chainsaw an inch away from your knuckles!

Crafty Fox
Blackwood

Post by Crafty Fox » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:49 pm

I've used the mini Arbortech but seem to have forgotten about it the past year or two. That new one that Peter C. uses looks interesting, maybe less risky?
Ken