Binding Jig discussion

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Re: Binding Jig discussion

Post by Steve.Toscano » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:56 pm

jeffhigh wrote:The idea of most jigs is to hold the router parallel to the sides regardless of top or back radius
With a plain router base, your cut depth will vary.
Thanks Jeff, never realised that was the main advantage of a binding jig.

I put a few bits of double sided tape on the router base closest to the cutter to compensate for top & back arch, then a sheet of paper (stuck to the tape) so to not mark the guitar top/back. 2 pieces of tape for the top, 5 pieces for the back. Never had a problem with the cut depth using this method - yet -. :P

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:30 pm

Finally put asside the time this morning to knock up a Go-Bar deck. I should have been fretting a couple of guitars this morning but I drew up the CAD for this and cut it out.

Thought it over engineer it a little with a heap of holes underneath, by a heap I think the CAD program said it was a bit over three thousand, they are so the bars have somewhere to locate Without slipping. Completely unnecessary but it will also assist if I need angular pressure for jobs other than just bracing.

I also just for the hell of it cut my logo out of the top, just deep enough so it's into the second layer of ply and showing a different color.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (50.71 KiB) Viewed 4189 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (82.87 KiB) Viewed 4189 times

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:34 pm

Boys and their toys :lol: :lol:
As an Engineer I love the CNC revolution, ok it takes a while to do the modeling and then work out your tool paths, tool changes e.t.c but once that program's running it does the job in a fraction of the time and enables some complex machining to be done to a high degree of accuracy.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:37 pm

felix wrote:
jeffhigh wrote:The idea of most jigs is to hold the router parallel to the sides regardless of top or back radius
With a plain router base, your cut depth will vary.
Thanks Jeff, never realised that was the main advantage of a binding jig.

I put a few bits of double sided tape on the router base closest to the cutter to compensate for top & back arch, then a sheet of paper (stuck to the tape) so to not mark the guitar top/back. 2 pieces of tape for the top, 5 pieces for the back. Never had a problem with the cut depth using this method - yet -. :P
What happens where guitar isn't arched across entire top? An example would be a classical built Spanish Method or a Gore and Gilet style classical with bolt on/bolt down neck (upper bout is flat)?
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:41 pm

Nick wrote:Boys and their toys :lol: :lol:
As an Engineer I love the CNC revolution, ok it takes a while to do the modeling and then work out your tool paths, tool changes e.t.c but once that program's running it does the job in a fraction of the time and enables some complex machining to be done to a high degree of accuracy.
Its a funny thing out on the drilling rigs I work on. The newer high tech beasts with the fully automated pipe handling systems are alot slower at getting a string out of the hole than a few rough necks on the floor and a Derrickman up the stick with a piece of rope. Of course the automated systems are alot safer....although there have been a number of injuries and deaths due to people being in the wrong place when the machinery is operating. The really worrying thing is the lack of ability to resort back to manual pipe handling of the automated racker system goes down.....nothing worse than having a string sitting in a hole while they try and fix things.....a good way to end up stuck in the hole.
Martin