Binding Jig discussion

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

demonx
Blackwood

Binding Jig discussion

Post by demonx » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:28 am

I haven't finished my first acoustic yet however I'm already planning ahead for the second and a better binding jig is in order.

I've read and watched several demo videos and am yet to make up my mind which direction to go, so I thought I'd start a thread here so pros & cons can be discussed.

I have searched this forum and most discussions are about home made jigs, whereas I'm looking for a off the shelf product.

LMI? Stewmac? Blues Creek?

At the moment I'm leaning towards this one but I'm definitely persuadable: http://www.bluescreekguitars.com/shop/i ... cts_id=140

Nick
Blackwood

Re: Binding Jig discussion

Post by Nick » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:24 pm

I made one similar to the LMI/StewMac product where the Router just slides up and down in the one plane and you maneuver the body under it. Works perfectly well although I've discovered on mine that on cutaway guitars you can run into the column particularly if they are the tight radius (small, deep) cutaways. I've had to alter the cradle a few times to accommodate this. Thinking back on it I should have made the router mount sit further from the column, Lmi's looks like it could suffer from the same fate and Stewmac's too for that matter, although I'm sure they would have 'modified' their designs by now if they did share that problem?
John's Blues Creek looks better from that perspective, just wondering about structural accuracy (would the cutter still sit on the same horizontal plane) with the 'arm' at full extension or would it droop by a few thou? I'm sure John can and will reply to that if he see's this post.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

johnparchem
Blackwood

Post by johnparchem » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:35 pm

I have that jig from John and like all of his stuff it is very well made. What I like about it is that I can clamp the cradle down and operate the router in my hand, less stuff moving around and a real feel of control.

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:56 pm

I have the Stewmac one http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Ty ... s_Set.html.

While I am still fairly inexperienced (3 guitars) it has made cutting the binding channels a fairly painless experience. I used it on all three guitars, the last one being a fairly tight cutaway. The carriage holders are a piece of junk but it would be simple to make a carriage yourself.

If I did it over again, I would just build one using drawer slides or Trevor Gore's design. Seems like it would be just as effective and very simple to make (sorry I know you said you wanted an off the shelf product).
Jeremy D

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:03 pm

I've had handheld, drawer slides and now Trevor's design.
I beats the others.

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:44 pm

Allen,, the one in your link has nothing over building your own knock off of the Stumc model,, a couple of drawer runners and a cradle to guide the body beneath it, will cost you next to nothing to build and will get the job done.
Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:43 pm

rocket wrote:Allen,, the one in your link has nothing over building your own knock off of the Stumc model,, a couple of drawer runners and a cradle to guide the body beneath it, will cost you next to nothing to build and will get the job done.
Rod.
There's two reasons why I say off the shelf.

#1, I don't have spare time to play around making things that may or may not work. If I work out the time spent messing around building one I should have just bought it. If I were still doing this as a hobby, then sure, but when every time I walk into the workshop I have paying customers work to do as a priority, I just don't have time to waste building toys.

#2, my wife has said she wants to buy me something to do with guitar building for my upcoming birthday and a binding jig is in a cheap enough price range, I have a feeling she's not wanting to buy a laser cutter or anything big dollar for me, so I'll look for a binding jig.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:57 am

Just looking again at each design and a thought occurred to me, you would obviously need to be aware of space available to you and the footprint of each version. The Bluescreek/Fleishman model would need a bit of room around and behind it for swinging that arm around but would be the one I'd go for if I had space. Whereas if space is getting a bit tight (as it is in my 'shop') then the column style of the LMI/Stewmac would be (is) my choice.
"Jesus Loves You."

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:29 am

We've done around 80 instruments on the Stewmac jig.

Works reliably and doesn't take up a lot of room.

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:21 am

Stewmac tru channel seems a favorite, I'm also reading everywhere that their cradle is no good.

Space isn't an problem for this, so if the blues creek is better I'd rather buy it, it's also a hundred bucks cheaper and sounds like it has a better cradle, but I like that the stew Mac one is made from metal as opposed to junk timber.

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:54 am

After a bit of to and fro descision making I decided to order the Blues Creek version as I like the idea of holding the router in my hand. I also liked that it has z better cradle than the stew Mac one and was also cheaper.

I threw a gobar deck into the order as I can see that being handy, not just for acoustic but there's been times with my electric builds that one could've been handy.

Just waiting on the postage details and then it'll be official

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:42 am

demonx wrote:Just waiting on the postage details and then it'll be official
Another mortgage?
"Jesus Loves You."

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:34 am

demonx wrote:After a bit of to and fro descision making I decided to order the Blues Creek version as I like the idea of holding the router in my hand. I also liked that it has z better cradle than the stew Mac one and was also cheaper.

I threw a gobar deck into the order as I can see that being handy, not just for acoustic but there's been times with my electric builds that one could've been handy.

Just waiting on the postage details and then it'll be official
The Blues Creek binding jig I'd go for..but a go bar deck is such an easy low tech thing to make yourself. Save the freight on the go bar deck and spend it on a nice bit of tonewood.
Martin

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:51 pm

kiwigeo wrote:..but a go bar deck is such an easy low tech thing to make yourself.
I've planned to build one for a long time now, so long that if it was going to happen that it would've by now. Easier to just buy it and be done with it. then it's there with the rods and ready to use.

Richard
Myrtle

Post by Richard » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:04 pm

My deck is two 600x600x16mm MDF boards, 4 threaded rods and 16 bolts and washers.

Grab your go-bar rods from John at Blues Creek because that will save you hassle with hobby shops and cutting the fibreglass to length, but save yourself the astronomical shipping costs (his website says the deck weighs 24lbs). A deck is a cheap trip to Bunnings and 15 minutes of your time to put together.

As far as dream binding jigs go, I've long wanted to assemble something like Jim Olson's bicycle fork-based beauty: http://www.olsonguitars.com/shop_routing.html

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:55 pm

I built my own several years ago in the Fleishman/Bluescreek style, including a cradle adjustable enough for ukuleles through to dreadnoughts. Works like a charm. Considering how many years I did it by hand with lesser jigs... Wish I'd done it earlier. You'll be happy with the purchase no doubt.

I was trying to find a link to another style jig, that a guy on the Official Luthiers forum made a small production run of years ago - unfortunately I can't find the link! And therefore could not check if he had others for sale now... But think adjustable desk lamp stand style bracket, alloy construction, remove lamp and add router, that mounts to the wall and folds flat against it. More robust than a lamp bracket of course - it was very nice. Similar to the Olson link just provided, though a lot less... Over the top? Perhaps someone else here has the link stashed away.

Personally, I would definitely go the Blues Creek over the Stewmac if room is no issue, but clearly many are happy with the SM unit. Trevor's design is almost like a combination of them both, or maybe more a simplified version of the Blues Creek - but it's not much use to know this if you had no intention of building your own.

As to the go bar deck, I can sincerely sympathise with a lack of time to invest in building your own. If you can afford it, buying one will have you up and running faster. What I will say is you've made a good decision in putting that in place for your builds early on! I've been using one for many years now, but wish I'd made one at the start. They always looked like over complicated and fiddly jigs to me, but they are just the opposite. They make gluing up bracing (and other jobs) very simple and quick indeed. I would not be without one now.

Good luck,

Jeremy.

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:45 pm

J.F. Custom wrote: Personally, I would definitely go the Blues Creek over the Stewmac...

I can sincerely sympathise with a lack of time to invest in building your own. If you can afford it, buying one will have you up and running faster.
Jeremy.
Thanks for reassuring me the Blues creek is the way to go. I had a gut feeling that one would suit me best.

I'm also glad someone else here understands the "lack of time" concept. I think the day you came here to visit I had twelve guitars mid production in the racks? Does that sound right? Well I'm even busier and more strapped for time now than I was then.

Less guitars in production as I'm keeping orders In single digits as getting this CNC running is taking my every spare second of every day that I'm not building with CAD and CAM work, plus I've added more factory evening shifts to pick up the cash flow loss from the CNC integration, so some days I'm working from 9am until 11:30pm. When the hell am I going to find spare time to build a damn jig?

If I was retired like half the guys here, I'd be building jigs and decks and toys left right and center, but whilst I'm flat out with work, I'm quite happy to have them delivered for now, especially since the acoustics are just a play thing for now and not my bread and butter.

Jehu
Sassafras

Post by Jehu » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:11 am

Does anyone have a link to Trevor Gore's design? (Or is it in a book?)

Craig Bumgarner
Blackwood

Post by Craig Bumgarner » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:57 am

It may be in the thread somewhere already, I just skimmed it, but wood works good for go-bars. I use oak. Mine are rectangular in section. Play around with a couple until you get the stiffness right. If they are too stiff, they are hard to bend in. If not stiff enough, they fall out as others are added. A little duct tape makes an adequate pad.

LMII used to sell plans for a DIY binding jig similar to the Stewmac jig. I built one about six years ago, works very good. My guitars have a lot of arch in the top and radius in the back, this jig handles it well.
Craig Bumgarner

Bumgarner Guitar Blog

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:27 pm

Jehu wrote:Does anyone have a link to Trevor Gore's design? (Or is it in a book?)
No it's not "in a book"......it's in THE BOOKS!!! :D
Martin

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:03 pm

Just a brief update to this thread.

The blues creek jig has arrived, although I am going to have to make a bracket of some sort to mount the router as it doesn't fit.

I didn't end out getting the complete go bar deck, I just got the rods and I'll put together a deck at some stage as it was going to add a LOT to the postage.

First time I've dealt with Blues Creek and id recommend them to anyone if asked.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:09 am

demonx wrote:
First time I've dealt with Blues Creek and id recommend them to anyone if asked.
Yeah John is a good guy to deal with and if you have any questions about Martin guitars, he's your man :D
"Jesus Loves You."

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Post by Steve.Toscano » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:08 am

I've never used a binding jig before. What's the advantage over just useing a trim router with different spacer bearings? Never had a problem with this method.

As to go bar deck: i spent more time getting the MDF, threaded rods, nuts & washers from bunnings then i did actually building it. Probably the easiest & quickest tool/jig to ever make.

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:23 pm

The idea of most jigs is to hold the router parallel to the sides regardless of top or back radius
With a plain router base, your cut depth will vary.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:42 pm

jeffhigh wrote:The idea of most jigs is to hold the router parallel to the sides regardless of top or back radius
With a plain router base, your cut depth will vary.
+1. Even a flat top is often not quite flat.
Martin