strange requests

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

old_picker
Blackwood

strange requests

Post by old_picker » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:05 am

I have had a few strange requests for builds over the years and this one is in that category
this one requires a 6 string guitar with the bottom E and A strings tuned one octave lower than normal
the enquirer proposes using bass strings with a 25.5" scale length
a player called charlie hunter uses similar but with a multi scale 7 string guitar [quite a player]
it could be an interesting project if it could be tackled from that angle

wondering what the feasibility of the 25'5" scale with two bass strings would be

Ormsby Guitars

Re: strange requests

Post by Ormsby Guitars » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:28 am

old_picker wrote:I have had a few strange requests for builds over the years and this one is in that category
this one requires a 6 string guitar with the bottom E and A strings tuned one octave lower than normal
the enquirer proposes using bass strings with a 25.5" scale length
a player called charlie hunter uses similar but with a multi scale 7 string guitar [quite a player]
it could be an interesting project if it could be tackled from that angle

wondering what the feasibility of the 25'5" scale with two bass strings would be

I do believe this guy called me yesterday also.

johnparchem
Blackwood

Post by johnparchem » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:43 pm

Is this an acoustic or an electric guitar? Since a lot of guitars are 25.5 scale you can just string one up with bass strings and see what happens. I built an acoustic bass, but it made my dreadnought look tiny, It had a 34" scale that was better suited for those bass notes. The E an octave lower than standard on that guitar sounded good. I am not sure how those string would sound on a guitar with a much shorter scale length. Maybe go to a large fan fret to get the bass string a bit longer.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:58 pm

Hunter talks about his guitars here: http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/I ... thm?page=2

The Jeff Traugott 29 7 string he's currently playing is 25.5" on treble side and 29" on the bass side for a G–C–F– C–F–B%–D tuning (Low to high)
Martin

old_picker
Blackwood

Post by old_picker » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:00 pm

this is an electric guitar -

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:25 am

Just wondering how 'slack' those low E & A strings will be at that scale length, I think overcoming the massive fret buzz will be your greatest challenge. Personally the fan fretted route would be my approach though, get a bit of length in those heavier strings.
I for one will be interested to hear how you get on should you decide to take the job on.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.