Trying to re-create beautiful violet padouk - (hints please)

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Trying to re-create beautiful violet padouk - (hints please)

Post by charangohabsburg » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:51 am

I like the colour of freshly cut padouk, and I also like a lot how its colour turns when ageing. However, when some years ago I bought a batch of padouk back and sides sets, one face of one back panel showed some stunningly intense violet staining, although only a blotchy pattern obviously caused by some kind of accident.

While in the past I successfully have removed greenish stains on maple and Australian blackwood using a concentrated solution of ascorbic acid, these stains on padouk did hardly (or not at all) change when in contact with ascorbic acid.

Since then I tried out about any chemical substance I could get my hands on to try to re-create that staining colour: acids, lye, saline solutiones...to no avail. The violet stains on that panel turned darker, and it was still (or even more) beautiful after 6 years - until I planed it away to use the wood, unfortunately without having taken a picture before.

Now, as I glued a veneer to the head plate, when peeling off a paper I used to avoid the plate getting stuck to the pressing caul and at the same time let moisture escape, you guess it: the padouk plate revealed some of that violet staining! So far so good, but I still have no idea what exactly could have caused it. Main suspects are the bleached paper and scraper plane blade particles in conjunction with water and maybe the hot hide glue I used for veneering.

I'd greatly appreciate any ideas about the what the actual staining agents could be, and how a staining solution could be created.

P.S.
At the moment I can't show a photo of the (partially) stained head plate because it is back in the pressing caul until it is completely dry (if i take it out too early for more than a few seconds if would cup).
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Re: Trying to re-create beautiful violet padouk - (hints ple

Post by charangohabsburg » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:52 am

charangohabsburg wrote:P.S.
At the moment I can't show a photo of the (partially) stained head plate because it is back in the pressing caul until it is completely dry (if I take it out too early for more than a few seconds if would cup).
I quickly changed the laminate to a dry caul to accelerate drying, and took a photo so you can see the purple spots,which is the colour I'd like to reproduce on an entire set.
PurplePadouk2015_P7700_2533-35.jpg
Markus

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Re: Trying to re-create beautiful violet padouk - (hints ple

Post by charangohabsburg » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:39 pm

OK, I finally found out.
Markus