Sympathy For the devil?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Hard Road
Beefwood

Sympathy For the devil?

Post by Hard Road » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:14 pm

"Please allow me to introduce myself!" I joined ANZLF in September 2011 and have made a total of 3 posts, a non active member would an accurate description I guess :oops: , although I am active on AGGH and I see a few regulars from there who are also on here. I have been making custom built electric guitars for the past 8 years (made around 50 odd) and the odd hybrid thinline acoustics and electric archtops, as well as repair all manner of guitars. Lately the itch to get into making acoustic guitars has been gathering intensity (nearly a rash) so I thought it was time I came towards the light on this forum. Been researching building a heat blanket side bending jig and downloaded a plan the other week with a view to building one, then I noticed on here the Blue Creek jig with slats, blanket, temperature controller etc for sale on their website. Has anybody here purchased one of their side benders, and if so are they alright? Or is there a local equivalent available? I did my Wood machining apprenticeship over 30 years and have been involved with working wood ever since, so I know my way around making jigs, but the Blue Creek Kit looks like good bang for ya buck, Cheers Paul.

GregL
Blackwood

Re: Sympathy For the devil?

Post by GregL » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:35 pm

Hi Paul,

Sorry, I can't help with the Blues Creek bender (but it looks good to me and the Blues Creek guy is on this forum tippie53), I just wanted to say "Welcome"!

Thanks,
GregL.

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:46 pm

G'day Paul

All of Tippies stuff is worth the money. All precision built and all at a reasonable price (and no I don't get any kickbacks from him) He's also a great bloke to deal with.

Regards

Bob
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:06 pm

G'day Paul,
Welcome to the forum mate.
I bend on the pipe so can't help you there.
I've seen your instruments and they are first class.
You will enjoy hanging around here especially if your ready to take on an acoustic.
Plenty of experienced builders here ready to help.
Cheers
Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

Hard Road
Beefwood

Post by Hard Road » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:52 pm

Cheers Guys, Good to hear the Blues Creek stuff is of good quality, it does look the goods, I will drop him an email. And thanks for the kind welcome too, I admire those who can bend over the pipe Al, I reckon I would end up with burnt fingers and 2 different shaped sides, did my apprentice under a foreman whose philosophy was "Don't build one, build a jig to make a hundred!" So it was drummed into me at early age. Got a nice billet of QLD Maple here put aside for my first efforts, then a Cocobolo back and side set with a sinker redwood top once I get my confidence up, should fun, but there will be plenty of questions before then, Cheers Paul.

johnparchem
Blackwood

Post by johnparchem » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:21 pm

I have two of his bending machines guitar and uke and a bunch of molds. All of john's stuff is well made.

Hard Road
Beefwood

Post by Hard Road » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:37 pm

Cheers John, checked out your website sometime ago. Very very nice builds and extremely generous with the knowledge you have acquired, regards Paul.