Nigerian Scammer

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Allen
Blackwood

Nigerian Scammer

Post by Allen » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:32 pm

I had a suspicious email a few days ago asking about buying guitars. From a fellow who said he was in the USA and had a shop in Finland. And wanting to know what credit cards I accepted. How much for instruments and that he'd use his courier to pick up.

Right off I thought things were a bit odd, but I've had a few over the years that turned out to be legit, so I was polite and replied.

Got another email from the fellow who then wanted to buy 3 Guitalele's and wanted to know the total. So again I was polite and said that they would need to be constructed as I only have one in stock. My standard 50% deposit and a 3 month delivery time.

The next reply was to know about instruments available immediately, and how much.

Again I replied with the pertinent info.

Then I received a call on my mobile from the fellow that wanted me to check my emails and get back to him immediately.

This I did, and when I saw that he wanted to buy my entire stock, yet still wanted me to tell him the total, when it was quite obvious if you did some simple math....Well the flashing lights really started to go off.

I checked the phone number that he used to my mobile and turns out it's from Nigeria.

So I replied that for an order that size I would only accept a direct deposit to my bank account. Shipping arrangements could be set up after all transactions have cleared to my satisfaction.

Me thinks I lost out on that sale. :roll:
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Nigerian Scammer

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:38 pm

I would have informed him that you're currently trying to get rid of a large stock of ukes left to you by a rich relative high up in the Australian government who recently died in a plane crash.

On the positive side....the w*****er made a call to your mobile which would have cost him a few dollars. You effectively cost the scammer time and money.
Martin

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:41 pm

Its a good thing you lost that sale Allen. They're bloody amazing aren't they. That's as much justice as we get Martin but we gotta ask them only to continue to call our mobiles. :P

Steve

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:43 pm

The last Nigerian scammer who contacted me ended up getting the string along from me for two weeks. I think he finally twigged that he was getting shafted when he rang the phone number I'd given him as my own and he found himself talking to the Australian Federal Police in Canberra :shock:
Martin

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:43 am

kiwigeo wrote:The last Nigerian scammer who contacted me ended up getting the string along from me for two weeks. I think he finally twigged that he was getting shafted when he rang the phone number I'd given him as my own and he found himself talking to the Australian Federal Police in Canberra :shock:
Absolutely 5 star Martin.....brilliant

Steve :cl :cl :cl

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:30 pm

kiwigeo wrote:The last Nigerian scammer who contacted me ended up getting the string along from me for two weeks. I think he finally twigged that he was getting shafted when he rang the phone number I'd given him as my own and he found himself talking to the Australian Federal Police in Canberra :shock:
Yes Martin....Nicely Played!....:)
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:02 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield