Advice needed - patching sanded-through top

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Nick
Blackwood

Re: Advice needed - patching sanded-through top

Post by Nick » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:42 am

The 3220 is designed as a spray applied product unfortunately, don't think it would stay 'wet' for long enough to get the flow out required for a good finish after brushing and Mineral spirits is not the 'right' thinner for it. I always like to use the recommended thinners with any product but I do believe that a multi purpose lacquer thinners can be used (I know Spraystore here in Christchurch do a general purpose thinners so any Automotive paint outlet near you probably have a similar product) as has been mentioned in a previous thread here but I think the pricing is pretty close between the two that I don't see the point in trying to cut corners when you could have a potential "sand back and start again" moment on your hands.
I'm not aware of any brushable product here in NZ but that's not to say there aren't any available, google around a bit but I suspect you may have to purchase from offshore (Deft and Minwax are two companies that make a brushable lacquer but are U.S companies), there again you could run into problems with shipping flammables overseas :evil: . Some of our Aussie members may know of a specific product available? If nobody chips in here you could start a new thread with your request.
Welcome to the world of luthiery in NZ :wink: Half the battle is finding suppliers here or somebody that will ship from overseas!
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Jehu
Sassafras

Post by Jehu » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:38 am

Nick wrote:Welcome to the world of luthiery in NZ :wink: Half the battle is finding suppliers here or somebody that will ship from overseas!
Yes, I am discovering that! I moved here from Canada a few years ago, and wish I started this hobby back then. Although that would probably make this all the more painful...

Would a cheapo spray gun do the trick for the clear coats? I imagine I'd need something a bit higher end to spray a decent burst, but I'm happy to do that by hand for now.

Jehu
Sassafras

Post by Jehu » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:26 am

Or would it make any sense to finish with shellac over the stain?

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:20 am

Jehu wrote:Yes, I am discovering that! I moved here from Canada a few years ago, and wish I started this hobby back then. Although that would probably make this all the more painful...

Would a cheapo spray gun do the trick for the clear coats? I imagine I'd need something a bit higher end to spray a decent burst, but I'm happy to do that by hand for now.
If it's just one guitar you are planning on finishing (we know that ain't gonna happen, just sticking to making one! :lol: ) then there are some reasonable 'cheapies' out there that will give a suitable finish, here's one after a quick search, seems good on initial flush and looks like it would give suitable finish. But if you intend making more instruments then a reasonable setup is required to give good, consistent and professional looking results and for bursts you need a smaller gun,like a door jamb gun, the spray pattern is narrower, ideal for bursting.
Jehu wrote:Or would it make any sense to finish with shellac over the stain?
Just wondering what effect the alcohol from the shellac would do to the stain (as somebody mentioned/questioned in my tutorial)? The stain mixes with ALL mediums so I imagine the alcohol would bleed into the stain and re activate it. Don't quote me on that as I've never done a Shellac over stain, if you are familiar with shellac then maybe, when you get the stains, you could do a small test on some scrap?
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Jehu
Sassafras

Post by Jehu » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:42 am

I assume I would need some sort of air compressor as well? (You can see how green I am!) Any quick tips for what to look for?

You're right, this one definitely won't be the last, but I just can't afford to dole out for a quality spray rig at this time. Thanks for your help, Nick -- I really do appreciate it!