Uke Building Process

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Jeremy D
Admin

Uke Building Process

Post by Jeremy D » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:21 am

Hi guys,

Just wondering what your process is for building a uke? I searched the forum and and it looks like a lot of guys use a solera and a Spanish heal. I was thinking that I would do it the same way I build a guitar, with outside mold, radius dishes and a bolt on MT neck. Can you see any potential pitfalls in building this way? I have the Hana Lima manual and plans and I would like to build a couple of tenor ukes. Is there anyone on the forum that builds them this way?

Thanks.
Jeremy D

johnparchem
Blackwood

Re: Uke Building Process

Post by johnparchem » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:31 am

I just finished two made just the way you describe. One followed the Hana Lima tenor plans the other a Martin Tenor shape but I switched to a bolt on glued butt joint for the neck. I have the Hana Lima manual but mostly followed the their plan. Careful though their plan placed the bridge without compensation. The manual included it.

I have a bunch of pictures of my process on my web site.
http://harvestmoonguitars.com/Nikkos1.htm

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:48 am

johnparchem wrote:I just finished two made just the way you describe. One followed the Hana Lima tenor plans the other a Martin Tenor shape but I switched to a bolt on glued butt joint for the neck. I have the Hana Lima manual but mostly followed the their plan. Careful though their plan placed the bridge without compensation. The manual included it.

I have a bunch of pictures of my process on my web site.
http://harvestmoonguitars.com/Nikkos1.htm
Great stuff, exactly what I was looking for. Very nice ukes too!
Jeremy D

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:55 am

Jeremy D wrote:Hi guys,

Just wondering what your process is for building a uke? I searched the forum and and it looks like a lot of guys use a solera and a Spanish heal. I was thinking that I would do it the same way I build a guitar, with outside mould, radius dishes and a bolt on MT neck. Can you see any potential pitfalls in building this way? I have the Hana Lima manual and plans and I would like to build a couple of tenor ukes. Is there anyone on the forum that builds them this way?

Thanks.
I did my first 2 using the Spanish heal method and the last 2 with mortice and tenon bolt on. I switched to bolt on because I wanted to be able to route the bindings and purflings all the way round, where as I had to hand finish them on the Spanish heal. You do get a perfect neck to body join with the Spanish heal though, which I struggle with normally. You will need a variation on the outside mould using Spanish heal to accommodate the neck.

I had no plans but instead used Allen's advice here -viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2930.

Good luck

Col

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:58 pm

Thank Col.
Jeremy D

ProfChris
Myrtle

Post by ProfChris » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:04 pm

Most of the builder I know use outside moulds and a bolt-on neck.

But there are lots of other ways - increasingly I build face-down on a flat board (sopranos, no doming) without using a mould at all. Usually Spanish heel but sometimes bolt-on.
Chris Reed