Quiet in here

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

simso
Blackwood

Re: Quiet in here

Post by simso » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:48 pm

kiwigeo wrote:Which one's the machine that goes "ping!"?
Its actually funny, the little one in the middle that we are still setting up, and has to go up stairs, does go ping when its finished sublimating the guitar body
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:04 pm

I've been busy playing around with a couple of electric motors of late...rebuilt (paint & bearings) a $40 3phase 2 speed, 705rpm @ 1.2hp and 1430rpm @ 2.5hp fitting that with the necessary 3 position rotary switch to the drillpress...worked out well because I was shooting for lower speeds and low is down to around 200rpm at the chuck without sacrificing any of the higher speeds I use for wood.

Have also nearly finished rebuilding an old "Made in Sydney Australia" Durst electric motor. It came off of an old alternator test bench..These old Durst motors are quite unique because they're single phase, 3hp, and have infinite variable speed in both forward and reverse, from 0 to 5000rpm, controlled via a red bakelite knobbed sliding lever protruding from the top front housing which rotates the brush mounting ring around the commutator...good old Aussie ingenuity 8)...Apart from bearings and paint (same common $20 a pair 6205 bearings which fit most electric motors of similar physical dimensions today) I had to make some 'no longer available' carbon brushes and also wind up a couple of new brush retainer housing springs to address the no small amount of flash-over that would shoot around the commutator when the rpm's got up a bit...according to my girls as they both ran wide eyed from the shed..."it was terrifying daddy!'' Strange because I personally thought it was quite a spectacular display, especially with the lights out. :cl :cl :cl

So what the hell will I use it for?? I've no idea, but for the money, I just could not pass it up cause its just too cool...and don't sweat it..I'll come up with something. 8)

Cheers

Kim

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:01 pm

Mike Thomas wrote:I thought you might be interested in a picture of the door to my room.

Nice door. Are you sure that woodrat is not around there? :shock:
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:43 am

Kim wrote:
[...] no small amount of flash-over that would shoot around the commutator when the rpm's got up a bit...according to my girls as they both ran wide eyed from the shed..."it was terrifying daddy!'' Strange because I personally thought it was quite a spectacular display, especially with the lights out. :cl :cl :cl

So what the hell will I use it for?? I've no idea, but for the money, I just could not pass it up cause its just too cool...and don't sweat it..I'll come up with something. 8)
You, the motor and your daughters could join a circus and tour around for a while with your show. :D
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.