Oud Neck Repair

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Stilts
Gidgee

Oud Neck Repair

Post by Stilts » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:15 pm

Hi all,

Has anyone on here had any experience with building/repairing ouds? I've got one with a neck snapped clean off (pics provided) that I'm a little hesitant of just diving into. Any tips on securing a snug and stable fit again?

Thanks
Attachments
DSCI0022.JPG
DSCI0019.JPG

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Oud Neck Repair

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:50 pm

I've built a lute. The neck/body join is a simple scarf joint reinforced with a dirty big wood screw running through the neck block.

Looks like your Oud has a neck tenon that fits into a mortise in the neck block. The neck tenon appears to have simply pulled out of the mortise and taken some of the wood fibres off the neck block with it.

Options:

1. Without touching the torn wood fibres on the neck tenon or mortise I'd try and refit the neck. If it fits ok then refit using hot hide glue.
2. If 2 doesn't work then things start getting tricky. Id look at cleaning up the torn fibres from the neck tenon and then doing a repair job on the neck mortise.....the latter will be the tricky part.
Martin

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:56 pm

I'm with Martin on this one. About the only options I could think of.

Must say that those two pictures are top notch in showing the details of the repair required.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:44 pm

Ive found this forum really useful for lute and Oud builders/repairers: http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:19 pm

This site also useful: http://www.droud.com/repairs.html
Martin

Stilts
Gidgee

Post by Stilts » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:55 pm

Thanks heaps guys, I'll give those sites a read over when I have the time

Stilts
Gidgee

Post by Stilts » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:55 pm

So I removed the triangle embellishment at the neck join to keep it intact while repairing, and it turns out that the neck block is just toast around the mortise area. Looks like this was the main cause of the breakage.
I'm looking at replacing this section of it with a nice sturdy piece of wenge I have laying around, and then doing a reset with some dowel. Bit of work involved, but hopefully it'll get the join strong again

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:10 pm

Replacing the neck block is going involve lifting if the forward section of top? Have they used hide glue on this instrument?

For extra insurance you could put a couple of long wood screws through from the back of the neck block into the neck shaft as well as having the dowel tenon.
Martin

Stilts
Gidgee

Post by Stilts » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:30 pm

The section of the block where the neck was attached looked like it was water damaged - it was rather brittle with rot lines through it. The glue appears to be a titebond style of yellow glue.

Before I go through the effort of trying to remove the rather hardy poly finish and separate the top to access the neck block, I've just taken the damaged area out and plan to add in a new hardwood piece after stabilising the surrounding material with some epoxy. Hopefully that gets somewhere, if not then I suppose the real fun begins...