New bouzouki for America

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

New bouzouki for America

Post by graham mcdonald » Sat May 31, 2008 10:02 am

Here is a new zouk I have built to take to the US next week for ZoukFest in Santa Fe NM and the GAL convention.

Sitka soundboard, Huon pine body, Qld maple neck, ebony fretboard and tiger myrtle rosettem bindings and head overlay

Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Sat May 31, 2008 10:03 am

and the huon backImage
Graham McDonald

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Sat May 31, 2008 10:04 am

and a detail of the rosette and bridge
Graham McDonald

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Sat May 31, 2008 11:53 am

Thats a fine looking instrument Graham, Im, sure it will be appreciated by the American audience.

Ive noticed you have been using more guitar derived shapes, I assume the reason is playability. Lattice braced?

Sebastiaan
make mine fifths........

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Sat May 31, 2008 1:37 pm

The body length and width is almost the same as the teardrop shape, with the upper bouts added. It took a while to get the proportions right (at least in my view) and it does make it easier for the instrument to sit on the leg :D

Hybrid X/lattice braced

cheers

graham
Graham McDonald

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat May 31, 2008 2:25 pm

A beautiful looking instrument there Graham. Very tastey.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sat May 31, 2008 5:46 pm

Really nice looking instrument there Graham. I especially like the the body shape, and the stripes in the soundboard look really good. Gives it heaps of character.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Dave White
Blackwood

Post by Dave White » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:50 am

Graham,

That's a really nice looking zook and I bet it sounds great. really nice lines and wood choice. Good luck in the US.

You've probably already seen this but this link to an Irish TV programme featuring Joe Foley making bouzoukis and Donal Lunny, Alec Finn, Andy Irvine, Johhny Moynighan, Garry O Briain, Niall O Callanain, Brendan O'Regan, Ciaran Curran and Nicholas Carolan talking about their history in Irish music is well worth a watch. The program on the guitar is very good too. (Thanks Sam Price for this "International Friendly" link to this programme!).
Dave White
[url=http://www.defaoiteguitars.com]De Faoite Stringed Instruments[/url]

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:43 am

Beautiful looking instrument Graham . Very appealing shape and the myrtle bindings really suit the Huon. Very cool rosette too ! Congratulations on completing yet another fine instrument. :cl
Craig Lawrence

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:15 am

Looks great Graham.

What scale are you using on that?

Bob

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:20 pm

It is a 26" scale, the 660mm long classical on the Ibex fret ruler. I tried to keep the weight down as much as possible, so only two bolts through the hollow neck block. The Huon was a bit of an experiemnt, just cause it looks so cool, and smells wonderful through the soundhole

I have seen that Irish TV show on Joe Foley. He would be an interesting man to sit down with a pint or two

cheers

graham
Graham McDonald

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:42 pm

I like the neck mount!
Don't see thru bolts on acoustic instruments much!
Nice work Graham!!

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:44 pm

Graham, I am interested in using huon pine. A mate has sent me a bunch of insanely figured wood from WA plus enough Huon to make maybe 3 guitars if i can split the boards correctly to make bookmatch pairs. It is almost perfectly on the quarter.

He has been lugging this wood around for years and has entrusted me to turn it into something nice. A guitar.

Anything i should be careful about using Huon? Apart from getting no work done because you can't stop smelling the lovely wood.
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:18 pm

I don't see any difficulties with Huon at all. I have another set with a vague idea of a flamenco guitar at some point. It is a light weight, resonant wood like cypress and works much the same. For a steel string I would be thinking of making something like a 00-18 or 000 or something like one of the old Gibson L0 models. A small bodied light guitar with that airy mahogany sound.

The chunk I got 20 years ago was well quartered, but the grain went in every direction, so it was just put though the sander as I figured planing it was just asking for trouble. It is quite brittle, so cutting binding rebates really needed scribing the line before routing to stop any chipping. I did seal it with epoxy, but sanded it all off because it just looked blotchy. There are warnings about gluing it because of its oiliness, bit there didn't seem to be any trouble with Titebond/LMI white gue.

Scott Wise over in WA has used it for soundboards, but it never really appealed to me for that, as I think you have to treat it as a hardwood (like mahogany or blackwood/koa) and expect a different sound. Huon is never going to be a commonly used body timber, mainly because there isn't much of about, but a few Huon guitars might be a very good use of what is left.

Now if you have any left over you don't want.....

cheers

graham
Graham McDonald

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:49 pm

Thanks for the tips Graham. I love Huon. My parents took us to Tasmania for a holiday when i was a kid (I'm from WA) and one of the things that stuck in my mind was the beautiful carving and wood work in Huon we saw around the place. That perfectly buttery colour and close smooth grain. I am looking forward to getting to it.
Cheers
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:35 pm

Hi Graham
Great looking instrument, I love that crisp looking soundhole/rosette detail. Well done. I sent a mandolin to the USA recently, great feeling. I thought is would be like sending coal to Newcastle, but it apparently got a good reception.
Taff

Larry Davis
Sassafras

Post by Larry Davis » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:28 am

Hi Graham...... I'll also be exhibiting at GAL with two tables of wood. If there are any special mando woods you are searching for let me know and I might have source. Larry
Still searching for the mother of all figures.

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:51 pm

Hello Larry,

I will certainly come and check out your wood. Between you and Bruce Harvie I am sure I will come home with a suitcase full!

cheers

graham
Graham McDonald

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:05 pm

Graham,

I have never played a zouk, and would not really know where to start, but looking at that beauty you have there makes me just want to pick it up and play the heck out of it. Quite frankly, I don't think I could give greater compliment than that. 8)

Having dealt with Larry Davis in the past, I recommend that you make an effort to catch up with him at the GAL. Few know wood as well, and still less know how to cut it better for the needs of our craft.

Cheers

Kim

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:47 am

Hey Graham thats a beautiful instrument.

Congratulations

Cheers

Alan

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:04 pm

Just thought I should check in from the GAL convention in Tacoma WA. Met Tim Spittle today with his Oz timbers. It was good to hear a familiar accent, and I am sure he will tell all about his adventures himself

The usual fascinating lectures and workshops and a very interesting bunch of people as usual. Well worth the trip over.

cheers

graham
Graham McDonald