Whatcha think?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

hazboticus
Wandoo

Whatcha think?

Post by hazboticus » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:45 pm

Hi Everyone,

Just finished a newish design that I thought I would share. Based on a tele/strat hybrid and going for a super minimalist hardware profile.

timber is 2 piece Victorian Silver Ash with a maple neck.

I pore filled with some water based putty mixed with black dye and sanded it back to add depth to the timber then stained with alcohol based stain followed with 8 coats of feast watson danish oil (yes its not really danish oil but the poly is important) then let cure for 9 days followed with 3 coats of minwax wipe on. 24 hours and hit it with the buff/polish and boom.

easiest finish I have ever done and some of the most impressive results as well.

I really that I can still feel the grain under the finish. Just waiting on some screws and machine heads before shes finished.

simso
Blackwood

Re: Whatcha think?

Post by simso » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:26 pm

Im not wanting to sound dis-respectful so dont read into this too much.

Is this your first build, did you make the neck or was it a kit neck
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:21 am

I like the grain of the body with that sort of grape colour (is that what it was?). The lower 'horn' doesn't do much for me aesthetically, with it coming to a point I would have gone with a more radiused approach similar to say the Ibanez. But that is just my thoughts, one man's meat is another's poison as they say :wink: Also a little constructive 'tip' if I may? when drilling tuner holes in your headstock, use brad point bits. They are less likely to want to 'wander',
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:08 am

I like the way the Tassie oak takes a stain too. Will your shield the pups too?

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

hazboticus
Wandoo

Post by hazboticus » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:31 am

simso wrote:Im not wanting to sound dis-respectful so dont read into this too much.

Is this your first build, did you make the neck or was it a kit neck
this is number 8 actually - the neck is a kit neck, I needed a standard neck size to template off of so I figured I would get one that matched a standard fender size and use it to complete the design. That way I can replace it with a factory one if need be/if it snaps a replacement is easy to find, using one for the build wasnt ideal but Good pick :cl

I actually build this whole thing in a couple days to test out the design so there are definitely things I would change. I quite like the pointed horn :P

And sadly I totally butchered those tuner holes, it wont matter when the rest of the gear goes in but yea.. :?
DarwinStrings wrote:I like the way the Tassie oak takes a stain too. Will your shield the pups too?

Jim
I might - set up should be all done in the next couple days and I will see if I get any hum out of it :)

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:31 pm

hazboticus wrote: I quite like the pointed horn :P
Yeah sorry, didn't explain that very well :oops: I like pointed horns as well, I mentioned the Ibanez because they still come to a point but they sort of scallop out the cutaway rather than the small radius and straight ramp to the point you've executed here.
Such as
IbanezBanner-665x300.jpg
IbanezBanner-665x300.jpg (47.35 KiB) Viewed 5827 times
To my eye it would just 'flow' better but as I say, it would be a boring world if everybody liked exactly the same things! :D
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

hazboticus
Wandoo

Post by hazboticus » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:28 am

Nick wrote:
hazboticus wrote: I quite like the pointed horn :P
Yeah sorry, didn't explain that very well :oops: I like pointed horns as well, I mentioned the Ibanez because they still come to a point but they sort of scallop out the cutaway rather than the small radius and straight ramp to the point you've executed here.
Such as
IbanezBanner-665x300.jpg
To my eye it would just 'flow' better but as I say, it would be a boring world if everybody liked exactly the same things! :D
AH yea now I know what you mean. Yea I beleive the next iteration will need a bit more scooping out :). Now I just have to take it apart and fix the neck alignment and Ill be gravy....