Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Mon May 26, 2008 9:34 pm

Hi There
My name is Taffy Evans a new member
I haven't a clue what I'm doing of here, I'll just see what happens by typing this, too much jargon and tech stuff for this woodworker. If this message shows up somewhere I must have done something correct.
Taff

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon May 26, 2008 9:54 pm

Hey Taffy,

Great to have you with us. :D

No need to worry too much about the techie lingo, it's like anything just hang around and post in your own words if you have any questions. No one here so up themselves that they won't try to help out if they can and pretty soon, the terminology used in instrument making will all begin to make sense.

So, what do you build Taffy???

Cheers

Kim

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Mon May 26, 2008 10:01 pm

G'day Taffy and welcome to the forum. Nice to see you here.

As Kim said we speak all sort of languages here (including some that can't be used in polite company :D )

There'd have to be some Welsh connection with a name like that I'd imagine.

Bob

joel
Blackwood

Post by joel » Mon May 26, 2008 10:20 pm

G'day mate,

Took me awhile to get the hang of the lingo too.

Never forget that 'thingy', 'whatzit', and 'doodad' are all perfectly acceptable technical terms. I'd be stuffed if they weren't.
- If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs. - David Daye.

- The mouth of a happy man is filled with beer. -

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Mon May 26, 2008 10:20 pm

G'day Taff ,

Good to have you with us . Hang around , ask questions when you need to. You'll soon get the hang of it .

They're a good bunch of helpful folk here.
Craig Lawrence

Ron Wisdom
Blackwood

Post by Ron Wisdom » Tue May 27, 2008 5:35 am

Welcome, Taffy. As has already been mentioned, we speak many languages and if we can't decipher something, we also have Billy, who can interpret just about anything. :D

Ron

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue May 27, 2008 5:45 am

Good to have another North Queenslander on board. Welcome tot he forum Taffy.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Tue May 27, 2008 7:22 am

G'day Taffy,

Welcome to the forum!! There are some great people who hang out here. I don't think I could have achieved as much success thus far with my guitar building project without the help and guidence from the members of this forum. Not that you need need to much help and guidence as a guitar builder!! I'm sure we will learn from you along the away somewhere!

Cheers

Alan Hamley

James Mc
Blackwood

Post by James Mc » Tue May 27, 2008 1:51 pm

Hi Taffy
I’ve heard about an electric guitar made from Burdekin plum that was built by a guy called Taffy. I was wondering if it was one of yours? If it is could you post a photo or two? I think burdekin plum (Pleigynium timorense) has huge potential as a local tonewood, so it would be great to get some feedback from someone who has used this timber.

Cheers
James

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Tue May 27, 2008 6:59 pm

Ron Wisdom wrote: we also have Billy, who can interpret just about anything. :D
Howdy Taffy! Welcome to the forum! What Ron said is true, I can even translate what a wife/GF may say into common everyday english! :lol:

joel
Blackwood

Post by joel » Wed May 28, 2008 9:17 pm

BillyT wrote:
Ron Wisdom wrote: we also have Billy, who can interpret just about anything. :D
Howdy Taffy! Welcome to the forum! What Ron said is true, I can even translate what a wife/GF may say into common everyday english! :lol:
Wow Billy!

How about this one. "What ever you want dear." To me, this translates as, "Sure! That's a great idea! Why didn't I think of that? You have my complete support and encouragement." But I get the feeling that this might not be an accurate translation.
- If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs. - David Daye.

- The mouth of a happy man is filled with beer. -

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Wed May 28, 2008 9:51 pm

Welcome Taffy. I look forward to hear more from you.

Ah Joel, that isn't an accurate translation. Granted the tone of voice and the general circumstances are necessary for a very accurate translation to include the nuisances. But I think its safe to say that you are about 180 degrees out from where you should be. But then again, depending on the tone and delivery, you might be correct.

Billy, its nice to know you are in touch with your feminine side.

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Burdiken Plum

Post by Taffy Evans » Thu May 29, 2008 10:38 am

Hi James
Yes I did use Burdiken Plum on two guitars in the last couple of years. I managed to get ahead of the woodturners in this neck of the woods and scored a length off a trunk about 900mm high. The guy I got it from had left it laying in his back yard and borers had moved in. However a mate suggested soaking the log in aviation fuel, he gave me some from his chopper, and assured me they would leave. They did, and the wood was unmarked. Because it was so heavy and hard for me to slice I desided to use it as caps for the two solid guitars I built. One was a commission, and I like it so much I built one for myself, much to my wifes discust.
I'II post some pictures as soon as I work out how to do it. I'll also try to cut some veneers and see how it sounds and bends. The best I could get was to match 4 pieces to get some wide enough for the solid bodies. I had to chamber the bodies to keep the weight down. Now I'm talking about it I'll start a mandolin using it, but don't hold your breath.
See ya Taff
Taff